Need advice in speaker selection with budget

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Schaller, Oct 5, 2002.

1. Matt Schaller

Matt Schaller Auditioning

Hello,
    I have been in the market for a pair of stereo speakers for music listening only. My budget is around $200 for a pair. I've spent about a month or so trying to figure out what the best speakers at this price are for me. I've found that it is very, very hard to select a pair of speakers online on the basis of reviews because everyone hears differently!
    I have been reading most of the reviews on www.audioreviews.com and most of the speaker reviews tend to lean towards how movies sound, and some of them write their review without mentioning the low end because they already have a subwoofer and didn't care how it was. I am, however, looking for a pair of speakers that is 2-way or 3-way and has an adequate low end.
    I've been to Best Buy and their JBL speakers (even the 310 ones, I believe) have practically no bass at all when I compare it to the JBL sub.
    The particular speaker pair I have been looking at is the Klipsch SB-2 which is around $240. The reviews at audioreview.com have said that they are surprised by the amount of bass coming out of those speakers, but unfortunately I don't know their definition of bass. I wish I could try out a Klipsch speaker locally, but I don't think anyone has them. (Best Buy doesn't have them, I know that)
    I am asking you all for your suggestions of a good speaker pair with adequate bass (I don't need explosion thumping bass, I need a good bassline bass, if you know what I mean).
    My musical style is electronic music, so bass is very important to me.
    As an alternative, I am thinking about purchasing the Sony SA-WM40 and picking up a cheap $50 or so pair of speakers to fill in the mid and hi end. I am more concerned about the low end than I am about the mid and his, but I would still like the mid and his to be good.
    I know $200 may seem to be a cheap budget for this, but I really need to be saving up for college.
    By the way, I am using a Technics SA-EX140 as my receiver and it is rated 100 watts per channel.
    I appreciate the help.
    Matt Schaller

2. Lou Loomis

Lou Loomis Stunt Coordinator

Matt,

I've been looking at speakers for months. Thought about the JBL route, but wasn't floored by the sound.

At the advice of the board, I went and listened to Paradigm's. Specificaly the Titans, which are in your price range (perhaps $20 more). I really liked the way they sounded for music. Nice bass for a bookshelf too.

I'm heading down in a few minutes to get a final listen, and plan on ordering them. Anyway, you might want to give them a look.

LL

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

If you can build the enclosure yourself that opens up some fairly decent options in the $200 range.

4. Matt Schaller

Matt Schaller Auditioning

Hey Lou, I will look into them. Thanks.

I am looking at this combination though...

Sony SA WM-40 and a pair of Sony SSM-B100H speakers. Both have great reviews for their low and mid ends respectively. It will run me about $200 ($150 for the sub, $50 for the B100H).

I may be purchasing a sub after all because I know that a bookshelf speaker that is 2-way or 3-way won't be able to reproduce the amount of bass that a subwoofer will be able to reproduce.

Edit: When you meantion about heading down to give them a final listen, is there a store that has these? I may have the same store around, and could check.

Matt Schaller

5. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I used the MB100Hs has surrounds for awhile and was really less than impressed. The distorted at higher volumes and there is no way that they met their specified frequency range.
    If this setup is completely for music, i would recommend a full range speaker and no sub. The reason is music has long sustained sections of bass in the 35-40Hz range. HT, however, has bass that goes all the way down to and below 20Hz (the lowest the human ear can hear), so the need for a powered sub is a must.
    The N38s were going to be my recommendation, but since you weren't happy with the bass of the N310s, i assume the N38s wouldn't please you either.
    Since you mentioned an interest in paradigm (almost everyone on here loves them, i wish i could afford a full paradigm setup), you may want to look at these on ebay...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1384944903
    They're the predecessors to the current Monitor 5s, which would sound great for 2ch w/ out a sub and are a little higher up the food chain than the Titans that were mentioned earlier.
    Hope this helps.

6. keir

keir Stunt Coordinator

if you have a hi-fi shop around, paradigm atoms at $190 are really nice bookshelf speakers. you cant expect a lot of bass at this size or price range, but the atoms do a great job on music without a subwoofer. if you listen to rap or something thats extremely bass heavy, the music will sound a little thin without a subwoofer. but the sony sa-wm40 would fix that up. also axiom has great speakers in that price range. i think the m2ti is around that price. it might not go as loud as the atoms though. if best buy is your only option, i think you should stick to jbl. there are many on these boards who have either the n-series or s-series and they seem to be good speakers. as for sony speakers, i have not heard many good things said about them. of course let your ears decide in the end, but its pretty impossible to do a decent audition at best buy.

7. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Matt,