Need Advice: I'll probably get one of these Hollywood Plus cards

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Todd K, May 7, 2003.

1. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

After dealing with the one remaining unresolved problem from this thread:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hollywood+plus

I have heard many people talk about this Real Magic Hollywood Plus card, and since they can be had for pretty cheap, I think I will buy one.

Please don't chime in just to say that I should send this post through a time warp back to 1999. I am not looking to buy this card as a foundation for a serious HTPC.

I just want to replace my computer's DVD TV-out card with something that doesn't have preformance glitches.

Before I buy, I wanted to confirm some things:

-Is there more than one version of this card out there? I know they just came out with the Xcard, but that's probably too expensive for me.

-I am running Windows XP, and have a nVidia RIVA TNT 16mb video card. Any known issues?

-What is all this talk about pass through cables and whatnot? I read on a faq page that later drivers don't require them, but I don't even know what they are for in the first place. Are there any performance issues I should be concerned with before sticking this thing into my computer? (In fact, the reason I ask is because I saw this "con" statement on a review site: "Pass-through cable degrades image quality slightly.")

-Does it do simultaneous monitor and TV output? And also, does it do 16:9 output?

I guess that's it. All's I want is to be able to output DVD to my standard-def TV via s-video. As explained in the thread linked above, my Hardware Cinemaster C card works fine on the tv-out part, but I get a strange judder at regular intervals when I play DVD on the computer monitor. I just want the pain to end.

Todd

2. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

Todd, I used the Hollywood+ in conjunction with a TNT 16 MB card for 2-3 years without a hitch....though that was with Windows 98. Had a few compatibility issues with a couple of titles I bought or rented, but it was smooth sailing overall. Oh, and yes it does do 16:9 output, and looked great on my old 27" standard def Trinitron. One thing, if you are going to use it's digital audio output, it only has a coax one. Overall a very nice card...mine's still laying around somewhere....I'll put it to use some day.

3. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

Todd,

the pass thru cable is how it displays on your monitor, if you wish to do so (your video card's outout connects to the H+, then the H+ to the monitor). You don't need to have this connected to use the Tv-out. both are active simultaneously. yes to 16x9/4x3lbx/4x3p&s. the signal degredation they are talking about is your normal windows desktop may appear softer (blurred) when running very high resolutions/refresh rates and using the pass thru cable

4. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

Well this information is very useful to me. I appreciate it.

I run my desktop at 1024x768, refresh rate at 60. Is that considered very high for this card? I don't want to trade one problem for another. This is perhaps my biggest concern.

Something swaying me in favor of the H+ is it's ability to do the PAL conversion. I have a handful of non R1 DVDs that I'd need to play. My current Cinemaster setup does this, but it's the only player I have that will, and again I have the problem mentioned above. If I can only output to the TV because I don't want to risk losing quality on the monitor, this purchase might not be worth it.

I'm going to try completely reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling everything to see if that fixes my problem. If not, I will give the H+ a whirl.

Todd

5. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

in my experience with the H+, the image degredation wasn't noticible until about 1024x768 or 1152x864 at 85Hz or above (so I just ran at 75Hz w/o a problem)

6. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

I love my hollywood+, yes I do.