Need advice: HD in NYC

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Darren_F, Mar 28, 2001.

1. Darren_F

Darren_F Auditioning

I currently own a Sony 61HS10 in an apartment in Manhattan, and have been waiting for Time Warner to finally release its digital HD cable boxes into the NYC market. I've called their cust. service desk multiple times over the last six months, and they keep telling me that it will be a couple of months. I was tired of waiting 6 mos. ago, and I am really tired of waiting now.
    OTA is probably not an option with my apartment layout (4th floor, facing a courtyard of slightly taller buildings), but I really have no way of testing out signal strenght. No southern view and a rental building eliminate any satelite possibilities.
    So my only real option is a STB that pulls the signal from my TWC digital cable feed. I will be limited to HBO, Showtime, CBS and Fox, plus what I might be able to pull over the airwaves
    Any recommendations on how to set this up and which box to buy? According to an article in Home Theater (Sep. 2000), TWC sends the singals as 256 QAM.
    Thanks for the help.
    Darren

2. Kent Oberlin

Kent Oberlin Auditioning

Darren_F
    I hate to say it but if you cannot get satellite (and there are only like 2 or 3 HD cahnnels anyway) and if you cannot use an antennae to get your local HD OTA broadcasts then you will not get any HD. Terrestrial cable has NO HD. The only way to get it is through Satellite or Antennae.

3. Darren_F

Darren_F Auditioning

Kent,
    In NYC and I believe in some other markets, TWC is providing a HD feed for Showtime and HBO, along with broadcast stations in which they have negotiated carry rights (CBS and Fox in NYC). It's pretty clear in their literature concerning their digital tv services (DTV), and the customer sales reps are actually educated about this, although the reps don't really understand the difference between providing the signal and providing a HDTV converter box.
    The issue that I am trying to get a handle on is what box can handle the HD feeds that Time Warner provides. The TWC reps don't understand the technical nature of this problem (i.e. 8VSB and 64/256 QAM) and I am not really sophisticated enough to decipher all of the technical stuff myself.
    I expect that I need a box with two antenna inputs--one for OTA and one for the cable--and from what I understand, some Toshiba box owners have had success with this setup. I am particularly interested in the new Sony HD100, given that it should be a perfect match for the finnicky HS10 series that I own.
    Thanks for the help.
    Darren

4. Michael St. Clair

Darren,
    I generally don't talk up other forums too much in here, but you are most likely to get the answer to your question over in the HDTV Hardware forum at http://www.avscience.com
    I believe at one time you could use a DTC-100 with Warner in NYC but their encoding/transport may have changed.
    Kent Oberlin,
    There are a handful of cable companies carrying HD (some unofficially), and over the next year Time Warner is planning on rolling out HD to most of their markets, particularly the ones that already have a digital tier. My source is an interview with the CIO of TWC. HD is rolling out to TWC in Cincinnati in the next few weeks.