What's new

Need advice from some handyman (1 Viewer)

Vijay

Agent
Need advice from some handyman(s) here,...my both bathroom light have gone out...

The 1st bathroom is on the main level and another uptstairs, we have 2 full bathrooms upstairs right beside each other, the master bedroom one is fine.

Now I checked the circuit breakers but they are OK.

I turned the main Circuit on and off a couple of times but still no effect, what could be the problem

I'm in Toronto Canada, (just if that helps)
the house is only 16 years old.

Todd Larsen

Auditioning
Check the plug ins in both bathrooms. They are normally GFI with black and red test buttons. Make sure the test button has not popped out. Depending on the wiring the GFI shuts down power to the whole room. That is the way it is on our ensuite.

Todd

DonnyD

Screenwriter
The above is probably the first thing to check and hope that is what it is. Always check the simpliest things first!

If the GFI is not the culprit, then next is the switch, then the light itself. After that, you're getting into the wiring itself but one of the above areas will most likely be your problem.

Good luck.....

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
Almost certainly is a GFI (ground fault interrupt) circuit. Electrical code requires that any outlets near a sink/bathtub etc., be on GFI circuits. Often all bathrooms are wired together together on 1 GFI-protected circuit.

In my house, the actual GFI outlet(s) are in my garage, though the circuits run throughout the house. Occasionally, on a very rainy day, the garage GFI's will trip, shutting down power to my bathroom & kitchen outlets.

Find your GFI outlets and press "RESET" on all. They may also be in the basement. Be aware that if they pop out immediately after pressing RESET, they ARE doing their job and you likely have a short in your circuit. Call an electrician, this can be a dangerous situation.

Scott

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
like scott my GFI's are remote, I think all the bathrooms in the house run off the one in the downstairs bathroom. find the GFI and you'll probably find your problem

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
did someone mention gfi's? :)

i'm guessing here, but wouldn't checking the plugs themselves be another good indicator? i guess i'm thinking the wiring to the light is fed on the same circuit as the plugs?

Will Pomeroy

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, definitely the GFIs... if the reset doesn't work, you may want to dismantle it and check to see if there is a silica buildup.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
What makes people think code was followed?
Always assume it wasn't followed until you prove that it was.
I'd be dead many times over using that assumption

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks