Need advice from M&K owners

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Kane, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Chris Kane

Chris Kane Extra

I'm looking at purchasing the S-150 monitors as actives if I can afford it. However, if I have to go with the passives then I would like to know what owners are using for receivers or separates considering the 4ohms impedance.

I wanted the Pioneer VSX-49TX but read that the company advised against using it with speakers rated as such.

Chris

2. KeithR

KeithR Second Unit

Chris,

I considered actives, but they are less flexible over the longhaul and a bit pricy. I ended up with S150s across the front and a Sherbourn 5/1500a amp. Plenty of power. In fact, that with a B&K Ref 50 isn't much more than the Pioneer.

BTW, if you need a good deal on M&Ks locally, i have a decent dealer.

KeithR

3. Chris Kane

Chris Kane Extra

Keith,
    Thanks for the quick response!
    How are the actives less flexible? Did you get a chance to A/B them against the passives? I've only heard the passives but have been told that the actives are incredible.
    I'm also just using them for the LCR channels. What are you using for surrounds and would you recommend them?
    I could always use a good deal considering what these go for!
    Did you buy the stands? I'm having a hard time swallowing the price. Wondering if I can put them in an entertainment center considering that they're not ported.
    Sorry about machine-gunning you with all the questions. There just isn't much talk about this product. Now if I was looking into Anthem and Paradigm...!
    Chris
    [email protected]