What's new

Need advice for UPS or Line Conditioner (1 Viewer)

Johnny_M

Second Unit
I'm in an old house and I have developed an irritating problem, I have a computer connected to my HT thru digital out for music playback, while playing music if ANY light in the house is turned on or off the music cuts out for about 2 seconds and then comes back. Im guessing theres a grounding problem somewhere and the receiver power is temporarily being lowered. The lights on the receiver are unaffected, only the sound. The computer and HT are not on the same circuit either, which is strange, and turning on the lights doesnt affect the tv or any other appliance in the house.

So my question, would a UPS or a power conditioner help me with this? If so, what should I be looking for. Since the receiver is the only device affected, I only need something small enough to power it only.

Johnny

Michael__M

Stunt Coordinator
Does the music cut out if using the speaker outs from the computer (output to the computer speakers)?

Michael

Johnny_M

Second Unit
no the computers are not affected at all. i even tried putting the sound card in 2 different computers, so the problem seems to be the receiver. when the sound cuts out, the receiver breifly changes to analog mode, then goes back to ditital and the sound comes back.

i tried tried hooking up a dvd player to that same input and the problem was also there, but another dvd player i have does not create the problem. My gut tells me the reciever is dropping voltage and muting itself, like it does when it first powers on. this is a rental house so i cant rewire anything and i dont want to pay for it myself. i was looking at this device, and wondering if this might help me.

Panamax M-4300

Johnny

Johnny_M

Second Unit
well, i bought a $150 monster power center and that did nothing. ill take it back tomaro. It did cause me to try some more stuff, and get this, i swapped out the cable again, this time for several smaller cables joined together and the problem nearly went away! by nearly i mean, the only device i could cause the sound to shutdown from was my chest freezer turning on and off.

Does this make any sence? The cable i was using was a $20 dollar dual rca cable, i seperated the 2 to make 40 ft. could this just be a distance problem? am I going to far for these types of cables or did I just buy some bad cables with 2 much resistance maybe.

Johnny

Johnny_M

Second Unit
well i had them running thru a wall, i decided to scrap those cables, peiced together some old cables i had and ran them under the carpet. its working fine now, so who knows.

Johnny

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks