What's new

Need advice for good quality DVD recorder/player (1 Viewer)

Scott Racer

Auditioning
Looking to buy a new DVD recorder/player soon. I currently have a Sony combo VCR/DVD (SLV-D350P) and I'm not overly impressed with the DVD video playback. I'm using component cables going to a Panny 47x54. It's not bad just thought it would be better.

So anyway I got the itch to buy a DVD recorder and want to try to upgrade the player at the same time. Have a few items I need to help with:

1)Who makes a good dvd recorder/player (specific brand/model)?

2)TV has HDMI--will buying a DVD with DVI be a big improvement over the component cables?

3)What is HD upconversion and is it something I should be looking for?

4)What this I hear about HD DVD? Is it out yet? Will it be coming out?

5)Anything else I'm missing or overlooking?

thanks

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
1)Who makes a good dvd recorder/player (specific brand/model)?

2)TV has HDMI--will buying a DVD with DVI be a big improvement over the component cables?

3)What is HD upconversion and is it something I should be looking for?

4)What this I hear about HD DVD? Is it out yet? Will it be coming out?

5)Anything else I'm missing or overlooking?

1. Many companies make great DVD recorders, DVDRs with Hard Disk drives are more desirable than those without. Check websites of Circuit City, Best Buy, Fry's, etc. Even Wal-Mart carries a Panasonic DVDR with a hard drive. The DVDRs with HDD usually sell for around 400-500 bucks. Those without HDD can be had for less than 200.

2. HDMI/DVI is a pure digital connection between the player and the TV. In my experience, there is a difference in a DVI to DVI connection. My RCA has DVI input and my Samsung DVD player had DVI out. I do notice a difference but it is not as dramatic as it may seem. I don't know about HDMI to DVI connection since I haven't tried it. I do know you will have to get some sort of adapter to accomplish this. I believe some DVD players with DVI/HDMI will require the TV to be HDCP (look it up) compliant.

3. HD upconversion is kind of a misnomer. Native resolution for DVDs is 480i/480p depending on if you are using a progressive scan imaging device, either the DVD player or the TV can do the progressive scan conversion for you. "HD Upconversion" will take the 480p signal and raise the resolution to 720p, 768p or 1080i depending on what your TV can handle. Keep in mind that this is NOT true HD since the DVD itself is NOT in HD but is limited to 480i/480p. Some HD upconversion capable players can do the upconversion via the component output, but not many. Most do it over the HDMI/DVI connection only.

4. HD DVD is exactly how it sounds. The native resolution of this new format will be in....well.... High Definition (720p/1080i). There are two formats lining up to take on the market, they are the Blue-Ray format and the HD-DVD format. The players and discs are due to debut this year although expect to pay premium prices for these units.

5. I don't know, can't read your mind.
:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks