What's new

Need advice for CPU to TV (1 Viewer)

Lisa Space

Grip
Hello, it has been awhile since I've posted here. I own a Sony 61' TV here are the specs for the question at hand:

HD capable with 2 component inputs (Y, Pb, Pr), 1080i, 480p, 480i,Digital comb filter,3D digital comb filter for maximum picture detail and resolution,Cinemotion™ reverse 3:2 pull down minimizes motion artifacts.

I want to connect my PC, and plan on buying a P4. As for what will be on the inside of the CPU, I do not know. This is where the question comes in. I want to know what I should have installed in the P4. From Audio to Sound. Like alot of us, money is a big part in this,if I can buy a sound card for 100 bucks but there is one that will make a big difference for 200 then I would rather the better one. Am I getting my moneys worth is what it comes down to. As for a CD-burner, which is worth it, and is DVD-burning really better? Please some help, my head really hurts from all the thinking I have done. Thanks so much for the advice.

Lisa Space

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Lisa-
A great place to check out whats good/not so good for a HTPC is the FAQ over at AVS forum: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=31225
Are you building it yourself (or is someone custom building it for you?) If so, I would recommend either a P4 or Athlon processor over 1 Ghz, a good DVD drive (the slot load Pioneers seem to be the favorite), 256 MB of RAM (dirt cheap right now), and a decent video card (Geforce2, etc or beter). If you are thinking about doing HDTV recording (from antenna received signals) you'll want a bigger hard drive, but if not you shouldn't need over 10GB; make sure it is a 7200 RPM drive for quick access.
Opinions on soundcards vary; I got the Zoltrix Nightingale Pro, and it passes Dolby Digital and DTS just fine to my receiver under Windows 98 and 2000; it was $45.
You'll need an adapter to go from your PCs VGA output to the 3 RCA component input of your TV. This adapter will do that http://www.digitalconnection.com/HomeTheater/9a60.htm
Hope this helps.

Lisa Space

Grip
Matt, I plan on having the computer company put all the things I want in it for me. You mentioned "You'll need an adapter to go from your PCs VGA output to the 3 RCA component input" Just checking but is this the only way to do it, and is this the best way to get the best picture? I just dont want to buy one cable or other componet, and then find that there is a better one for a few bucks more, I'm sure a few of you know the feeling. Thanks for the help.

Lisa Space

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks