Need Advice For Complete Ht Purchase

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by braden, Sep 5, 2004.

1. braden

braden Agent

OK, I HAVE BEEN READING THIS SITE FOR A WHILE NOW AND HAVE RESEARCHED A LOT OF EQUIP. I HAVE CREATED A LIST OF RECIEVERS AND SPEAKERS THAT PEOPLE HAVE BEEN SUGGESTED.

DOMENSIONS OF ROOM:
    15' WIDE
    45' LONG,, MAIN SEATING IS 15' FROM 65IN BIG SCREEN AND THE ROOM IS OPEN BEHIND COUCH W/OPEN STAIR WELL COMING DOWN. CANNOT ENCLOSE ROOM...

I WOULD LIKE TO STAY UNDER $1500-1800 IF POSSIBLE FOR ALL EQUIP(EXCEPT TV)INCLUDING WIRING..

PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE ON ALL EQUIP, I WILL USE 95% FOR HT, NOT MUCH INTO MUSIC...

MY LIST:

YAMAHA RXV650 OR HTR 5760 $380
    HSU STF-2 OR VFT MK2 $500
    NO IDEA ON SPEAKERS
    JBL, KLIPSCH, ASCEND, AXIOM??????

I AM NEW AND NEED TONES OF ADVICE

THANKS

2. braden

braden Agent

ok, i can not wait much longer, i have an itch to spend some money and get an awsome system, please help me,,,,,

3. Tom D

Tom D Stunt Coordinator

I would recommend 4 Paradigm Titans, CC170 or CC270, and Paradigm Sub PS1200 or PW2100 or PW2200. Denon rcvr avr 1805 or 2805.

Regards

Tom

4. John S

John S Producer

I sort of agree with the Paradigm speaker suggestion, your room has lots of space, and will benefit greatly from ultra efficient speakers. The 110watts per channel your looking at is right on, being about the highest in a AVR available. You can use all the power and speaker efficiency you can get for sure.

You will want lots of raw power on that sub too.

5. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

I also agree with the Paradigm suggestion. At one point, I had a 5.1 system with 4 Atoms, a CC-170, and a PDR-10 with a Harman Kardon AVR-225. If I had the amount of money that you want to fall into, I would do 6 Atoms (perfectly matched) and a CC-170 for the center. I'd consider a PDR-10 OR PDR-12 if you can fit it into the budget. I've heard people say good things about those HSU subs too, but I've never heard one. For the receiver, as always, I like to stick to Harman Kardon because of their accurate wattage specifications (they don't lie - a 55 watt per channel amp is a 55 watt per channel amp). I've also read that the Harman Kardon use a different type of amp than the Japanese companies and it supposedly sounds better (to be honest, I can't tell a quality difference between a Yamaha and the HK receivers). I have a Harman Kardon AVR-330 and it sounds very nice.

My suggestion is
    6 Paradigm Atoms
    1 Paradigm CC-170
    1 PDR-10 or 12
    1 Harman Kardon AVR-330.

I think you will be sufficiently impressed...and if you ever want to upgrade, many of the Paradigm local dealers allow you to trade in your speakers towards an upgrade, and usually you get a decent deal. Look into the Studio series when you go to upgrade.

6. Steve Lucas

Steve Lucas Stunt Coordinator

I think the suggestions given so far are good, except that I don't think the smaller Paradigm subs will fill a room that large with satisfying bass. I have a PW-2200 myself in a room that is 12' x 20' so I do have some knowledge of what I speak. If possible, I would look to SVS for the sub. I think that's your best choice for "bang for your buck".

7. braden

braden Agent

Why the HK 330 vs the Yamaha 5760?? I am new at this add need lots of advice...

Also, should I go bookshelf speakers all the way around, since I will have a descent sub, I am leaning towards a HSU or SVS... Any advice for my room dimensions???

Any input on Ascends or Axioms??

Where can I find the Atoms at??

8. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

I recommend checking out the ELT Bundle from AV123. The receiver included is a Denon AVR-1804. Add in a DVD player such as the new Denon DVD-1910 and cables and you'll be right in your price range. AV123 is a authorized Denon dealer and can get you a good price on their DVD players too. For the price, this is a killer little system.

I do think a larger sub would be more suitable to the size of your room but unless you're willing to go DIY, the sub budget will have an adverse impact on the rest of the system. For a entry level system on a budget, the ELT bundle should give you years of enjoyment...or upgradeitis.[​IMG]

Check Audioenvy or the forum at AV123 to see if there are any ELT owners near you who can provide an audition.

Good luck and have fun!

9. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

Atoms can be had at any Paradigm dealer. go to www.paradigm.com and you can find a dealer near you. I also have a PW-2200 now, as well as upgraded Paradigm speakers (Studio 20's). I love them. I misread...what was 45' long?!?!?!?!?, skip the PDR-10/12 and get a PW-2200, Seismic, or an SVS. (From the rave reviews...the SVS is probably the best bet).