What's new

Need advice for a newbie, please! (1 Viewer)

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
My Uncle has decided to renovate his house and he wants to install a home theater. He plans on doing this later in the year, but wants to do some research as to the equipment to purchase.
I have a little knowledge about different products, but no where near the amount of information he needs to make his decision.
If you know of any websites where he can do research, could you please post them here.
Thanks for taking the time to read this. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
------------------
fightclub33.jpg

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Tom;
The first question any of us will have is, how much money does this guy have to spend? Also, what kind of equipment is he looking into buying? I think you can find a lot of good advice here at this board, but we'll need to know more about this set up before we can tell you anything.
------------------
-J.Fo
Live in the Minneapolis/St. Paul Area? Wanna meet local HTF members? Click Here!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Tom: If he wants to do research, this is a good site to read. You might also recommend "CheapHomeTheater.com" as another good site.
But to give specific advice, we need to know:
- What percent Music vs HT? What flavor of each? (ex: My system is 5% music for the daughters, 95% for DVD's, with emphasis on Action/Adventure. So my system is more about impact than accuracy).
- Is the room going to be dedicated to HT/Music or a living-room & HT room?
- Does he have any special SAF (Spousal Acceptance Factor) issues?
- On the display: Tube, RPTV, High Def RPTV or a projector?
Anyone with good advice might change their suggestions based on the above questions.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Thanks guys! Bob, that site you recommended is quite good. I've checked it out just before clicking on "post reply."
Jeff, My uncle is looking to spend approximately $4000. That amount is for a RPTV, a receiver and speakers. He does not want a 16x9 or HDTV. He is going to wait a few more years before purchasing one of those.
------------------
fightclub33.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks