What's new

Need advice for 6.1 setup for mom... (1 Viewer)

Lynn Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Since I'm such a newbie, I thought I would consult you people first. I just bought a Denon 1802 and M&K 750 MKII THX Select speakers. Well, mom came over and watched a movie the other night, and LOVED it. So, now she wants me to help her set up a movie/audio area for her. I told her about DTS 6.1(I only have 5.1), and now she has her heart set on it. As much as she loved the movie, she is music lover, so we need to accomodate that too. She has a fairly large room, probably 25x30. We're set on the TV, but we need all the speakers, receiver, and a DVD player(she has an older Denon system, so we've got the CD player too). She has money, but she is frugal of course. I would think she can spend between $3,000-$5,000. I think if she just hears what she likes, she won't have a problem with price. Thanks for the help everyone!!! I LOVE this site...

Shayne Judge

Stunt Coordinator
I would strongly consider the Paradigm line. If you have not heard them, I suggest you go demo them. As always, individual tastes may vary. Denon and Paradigm are said to sound good together. Also, you can get a great deal on Paradigm if you cross over to Canada and make the purchase.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Lynn, I recently decided to do a full scale upgrade to my system. It's a 5.1 system for now with upgrade ability down the future. My budget was $5,000. I don't think you can do much better than what I've put together...

Paradigm Studio Reference CC ($254) (all Paradigm's purchased in Canada, hence the great prices)

Paradigm Studio Reference 40's in Lt. Cherry(mains) $667.80

Paradigm Studio Reference 20's in Lt. Cherry (surrounds) $540.60

Sony SCD-555ES SACD/CD player $800 from Oade.com

Anthem MCA 5 Amp (also purchased in Canada) $1020

Outlaw Audio 950 Preamp $950 (when it finally gets released)

Interconnects and Cables $700.

Total cost: $4932.40 I made it under budget by $68. Now, if running to Canada for speakers and an Amp are not a solution, then you can get the Paradigm's here in the States in the graphite finish instead of the Lt. Cherry for only slightly more than I paid for the real wood. The sound will be identical. Instead of getting a new amp, get one used off Audiogon.com. You can maybe get a good 5 channel amp used in that $1000 range. You said you already have the source (the Denon), but if it's more than a few years old, I would consider upgrading here if your Mom is a really big music fan. The Sony is highly touted on this site and should produce great results and give your Mom the benefits of SACD.

Just remember, this is only a reference, but I think a killer system can easily be had with that budget. It takes some elbow grease and patience, but you will be happy with the results. If 6.1 is truly a huge deal for you, instead of going with separates, get a flagship receiver and with the money you save, you can get another pair of good speakers (Paradigm Mini Monitors?) for 6.1 or 7.1 applications.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Lynn,
Excellent initial budget!
Here's what I would start off with:
Outlaw 950 pre-amp - $950 (including shipping)
Outlaw 750 amp - $1,100
nOrh Le Amps (1 - center or center surround) - $295
nOrh SM 6.1 video package - $1,200 (including shipping)
nOrh 4.1 center (surround center) - $275 (including shipping)
Adire Audio Rava - $450
Onkyo DV S555 - $275
Interconnects, stands, cable, etc. - $325
Total - $4,870

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i like the package BryanZ put together. the nOrh's will go over really well with your mother. only changes i'd make are these:
sub: SVS 25-31PC
DVD player: Toshiba SD4700 or 5700 (the latter does HDCD)
get her a Pronto!!!
i think you can push a little more $$ in the subwoofer category and get her an SVS. i have the 25-31PC and it is marvelous for both music and movies! as for the DVD player, go with those Toshibas b/c they offer DVD-A, which your mother will absolutely LOVE since she's a music fan.
i cannot stress this enough: get her a Pronto! ease of use is vital for parents who (in most cases) are clueless when it comes to electronics. make her some macros that will play different things at the touch of a button. this will likely be the deciding factor in whether she likes the system or not. with the stuff i added, it shouldnt go much over $5000.
geez that's a killer system! good luck!

Lynn Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the ideas. Now I just have to find a local dealer for the nOrh's...I think it'll be fun though. Great thinking on the ease-of-use stuff. That WILL be an issue, otherwise, I'll be doing phone support for her PC AND stereo...*ugh* Thanks again. Definitely will look into an SVS sub too...

Lynn Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Quick question now...can I actually save a lot by going to Canada(Vancouver is a short 2.5 hour trip) for the Paradigms? Anyone actually went from US to Canada for Paradigms? Thanks for the input...

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Lynn, I made a 5 hour trip to Canada for my Paradigms and it was worth every mile. Not only did I get about 10% off MSR up in Canada, but due to the obscene exchange rate and tax reimbursement, I saved another 40% easily. A package of Studio 40's, 20's and a CC which lists in the US for $2500 (and I probably could have gotten no cheaper than $2100 from my dealer) only cost me $1500 up in Canada. You CANNOT go wrong by going north of the border...same thing with power amplification. A $1500 Anthem MCA 5 power amp that my dealer said he could go no lower than $1300 on, I got in Canada for $1020.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks