Need advice finding a TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LouiseB, Jun 7, 2001.

1. LouiseB

LouiseB Auditioning

I have been waiting as long as possible for the prices on HD to come down and features go up, but my old 35" RPTV is finally dying on me so I think it's time to move up. Unfortunately there is a lot of natural light in the room I use, so I am thinking I would do better with a direct view. I would prefer 16:9 but most of the sets I can find only go to 34". That would probably be OK for 16:9 viewing, but would be small for my 4:3 television watching (mostly sports) Seating is about 10-12' from the set. I can probably get a few more months out of my old set. Any suggestions or insight would be appreciated!
    I have about $5000 budgeted, could go higher if I don't go crazy. Plan to get a progressive scan player and new receiver later this year also.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Well, Sony has that new direct-view, HD-capable WEGA coming out, a 4:3, 40-inch monster called the KV-40XBR700. The monster weighs in at more than 300 pounds, which raises questions as to its practicality (if not reliability). I think the msrp will be around $4000. Then there's the 38-inch 16:9 direct-view from RCA--though one magazine test suggests that its high-def performance is a tad soft. It, too, is a bit heavy.
    If ambient light weren't an issue, I'd suggest springing for a Toshiba 56H80 widescreen RPTV. I've had a bit of experience with one of these things, and it's a terrific set.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

3. LouiseB

LouiseB Auditioning

Thanks Jack. I have recently been considering the Sony. I am really torn over what direction to take, I may reconsider the RPTVs. I imagine they have a better quality pic now than the one I've been using.

4. Bill_M

Bill_M Agent

The HD-RPTVs have a better picture than the directview HD sets. Lighting will not be a problem. You can totally eliminate glare problems like on a directview by removing the protective screen.

5. LouiseB

LouiseB Auditioning

Thanks guys, if I go with the RPTV, is the Toshiba the preferred choice?

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Around these parts, Louise, Toshiba has assumed cult status--and for good reason: Of all the mass-market OEMs, Toshiba has among the most accurate color decoders. My main display is a Sony WEGA, but I still lean toward Toshiba. Those friends of mine with the 56H80 are, per my recommendation, are going to have their set calibrated by an ISF tech. It already looks great, but once that greyscale is properly adjusted, watch out. Also, you might consider blacking out the windows in your viewing area. Or, during the day, you could "watch television" on something else--a small, analog direct-view, say--and save the RPTV for serious viewing at night. (And you'd probably still be within your budget.)
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

7. LouiseB

LouiseB Auditioning

Thanks Jack. I am a little embarrassed to say I have TVs all over the house, including a 31" 4:3 direct view in my bedroom.
    Luckily I live in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area so should be able to have a set ISF callibrated. I will go check the Toshibas out at some local dealerships.

8. KeithR

KeithR Second Unit

You might check out the Sanyo XP-21 front projector in your price range....2500 lumens is plenty of light for a well lit room i here. Email DanG on the ar or avs boards for some great info. You could then have an 82" diagonal 16:9 screen for 300 bucks, and you are in business! Oh yeah, this is actually movabale unlike the Sony [​IMG]

9. LouiseB

LouiseB Auditioning

Thanks Keith, I have never thought about getting a front projector for this area. I'm not in a huge rush so I'll check them out too. I'm not familiar with the ar or avs forum, how do I get there?

10. GregoriusM

GregoriusM Second Unit

AVS Forum
    I'm not sure which forum he is referring to for when he says AR.
    ------------------
    "It's like music to my ears, but it's like a hurricane to my wallet!!!"

11. KeithR

KeithR Second Unit

Sorry Louise,
    http://www.avsforum.com
    I think if you are planning to spend over 3k, then fp's are the way to go...way more for your money, and they are much more attractive for decorating around [​IMG]