Need advice fast!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Weiss, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Lee Weiss

Lee Weiss Stunt Coordinator

I need new speakers for my system becuase of space constraints and need some advice.

My current system consists of an Onkyo 313 Prologic receiver, Polk LS50 mains, Polk M2 rears and center. My receiver has no sub-output, but I would like to replace the whole setup to match and get a subwoofer.

My budget is $650 (barring a receiver upgrade in the near future). I need satellite-sized speakers and was thinking about the Klipsch Quintet and KSW10. It is mainly for HT, but I want decent bass. My Logitech 560 computer speakers pump more bass than I currently get.

My room is 18' L x 12'W with my big screen and couch across the long span.

Any thoughts on how well this system would work for me, or what might be a better choice? Can I even hook up a powered sub to my system? I have read a bit about using RG6 for the sub, and I have a ton left over after my satellite installs.

Please help before the wife nixes the idea.

Thanks

2. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

If your current amp does not have a Sub output then you will not be using RG-6 or any other "sub" cable. Many subwoofers will allow you to hook up your front speaker outputs from the reciever through the sub and then you hook up your front speakers to the sub (using traditional speaker wire). The sub has an internal crossover and takes the lower frequencies passing the higher frequencies to the front speakers (simplified explanation).

So you will need a powered sub that can do this (most retail varieties will).

I cannot give you advice on your speaker selection as I have never heard them. However, I would suggest you find a place locally to audition them before making the purchase.

Hope this helps,

C. Ryan

3. Lee Weiss

CRyan,

The hookup info helps. Just wish I could get a new receiver right now. I have planned on listening before I buy, but could always use guidance.

I really want to make use of my power tool collection, so was thinking of building the sub for fun. Got a parts list for an under $200 sub?

TIA

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Kenwood HTB-504 - $499 at Sears/Costco. Good receiver (DTS, SVideo switching), 5 speakers and self-powered sub. Highly reguarded budget system.

5. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

6. Lee Weiss

I would prefer a 5.1 receiver but I would like some thundering bass during movies.

Thinking it over, I could relocate my equipment to a coat closet and build a rack, leaving me enough room to keep my mains. That would leave me with $650 for a 5.1 receiver and sub.

Was thinking about the Onkyo 494 and a sub up to $300. Can you recommend a powered sub, or is there a list of parts to build a 12" powered sub.

I know not what I need, but help. My third offspring is coming any day.

7. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor