What's new

Need Advice Connecting New BD (1 Viewer)

helm

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill
Hi all, I am a newbe that has just joined up, trying to get some advice that nobody wants to give me. Probably a dumm question.

But here we go:

Need advice with my temporary setup.
Just bought a blu ray player, have existing DVD Recorder and Full HD Plasma.
They all have HDMI connectors except my old Yamaha AV Receiver that will be next on line to be upgraded and as all new AV Receivers will also have HDMI and then all will be sweet.
My existing DVD recorder is connected to the TV via HDMI and Optical cable to the AV Receiver, works fine.
My new blu ray is also connected to the TV via HDMI, but no optical cable to the AV Receiver (Audio only through TV) I would have to buy a new optical cable, that would be wasted once I have the new Receiver, so my question is, I think it may sound stupid, but I ask anyway would it work if I connected one optical cable from the TV to the AV Receiver, can only use one DVD or blu ray at a time anyhow.
Hope some Guru out there can tell me.

Thanks

helm

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Most tv's will only pass a stereo signal thru the optical output.

How about using a coax digital connection between one of the dvd players to the receiver. Do you have a yellow coded composite video cable laying around? Most dvd players include one (along with the red and white analog audio cables) in the box. It's the same specification as the coax digital cable. Not the best quality cable but it would work for a while.

helm

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill
Thank you gene c, yes I did get one of those cables with the BD player, and I may end up using it. I find it very poor that Yamaha will not supply an HDMI cable with this unit, after all to get best result you do need HDMI.

I did find my Manual for the Yamaha RX-V496 and it is supposed to have 2 Optical inputs, but I can not work out if both of them are good for what I am after or only one. In the Manual they are stated as: Optical (1) DVD/LD (I assume this is Laser Disk) but the Optical (2) SAT/D-TV

TV/digital TV, satalite tuner, cable TV. Would this mean that any digital appliance can be connected or only some specific ones.

I am not up with this stuff. But if you think the second Optical is OK for the BD then I will use that one rather than the Coax which really is only a old RCA.

Thank you again

helm

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Receivers don't come with hdmi cables regardless of brand or cost. In fact I don't think most BR players come with them either.

You can hook any device to the optical or coax input. The ones mentioned are pre-assigned to those inputs. If you hook another device to one of the digital inputs you may have to go into the receivers setup menu and assign that input to the button on the remote, such as CD (if equiped), so the receiver knows where to look for the signal when you push the CD button (instead of DVD/LD for example).

helm

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill
Thank you gene c, I have tonight connected up the BD to the Yamaha using the Optical cable to the No.2 optical input and it is working great.

Will there be any noticeable difference between HDMI and Optical Audio when I will upgrade.

I know this is not the place for it, but you appear to me to be a guy who knows his stuff.

I have almost, almost decided on the Denon AVR 1910 AV Receiver what is your opinion on this Receiver.

I thank you again for your valuable advice.

helm

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Optical won't pass any uncompressed PCM multichanel tracks from Blu-Rays- they'll come out downmixed to 2-channel. They'll also down-rez Dolby TrueHD or DTSHD tracks to standard resolution, and if they have extra rear channels those will be dropped too.

helm

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill
Thank you Jesse Skeen, That also means to be able to get the true sound from the blu-ray disk, it requires a HDMI cable, to a HDMI AV Receiver.

Would that be correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks