What's new

Need Advice - B&W 604 s3's (1 Viewer)

JohnThompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Thompson
I am in the market for new speakers and auditioned the B&W 604 s3's (at Georgia Home Theater in Atlanta). I originally came to look at the 603, but was disappointed. I have three questions:

1) The dealer is sticking to the retail price ($1400). I have read in some threads in this forum that some people were able to get 15% to 25% off from their dealers (but they don't mention who). Does anyone know of dealers in the southeast that offer the B&W 600's at a discount?

2) Do any existing 60x owners have a strong preference between the 60 and 600 center channels?

3) What do you recommend for rear channels (for SACD and movies).

Thanks in advance for any input that any of you give. This is my first "decent" speaker purchase, and I (obviously) want to make the

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
John,

I suggest that you take a good listen to the 602s with a sub. I don't know about now, but back when I got mine many reviewers and listeners preferred the 602s to the 603s. They may or may not be on par with the 604s.

You will not get better sound than identical speakers. I had a CC6 center with my 602 mains and I was dissapointed with the sound. I replaced it witha "scratch 'n' dent" 602 at a clearance sale and it was like a revelation. Identical speakers make for a seamless soundfield that can not be beat by any dedicated "center" channel speaker.

I would recommend that you put identical 602s all around everywhere with a nice sub and forget about dedicated "towers" for mains and "center" for center. That's one suggestion anyway.

Hyun K

Stunt Coordinator
I recently finalized on a set of B&W 600 series 3's for my HT/music system. I went with 602S3's all around and a CNT for the center.

Regarding question 2: Read my thread "LCR600 vs. CDMC NT" for specifics on how I came to my decision. I strongly recommend going with a CNT. Either that or get the 60. No sense in getting the LCR600.

Regarding question 3: I agree with Phillip... identical speakers all around would be the best way to go... for both HT and music. It results in the most uniform sound presentation all around. But I know that this is not always the most practical and realistic. For HT, I don't think going with floorstanders (603, 604) will add much improvement over a 602 plus sub. Save the $800 + allocated sub budget and get yourself an even more awesome sub. For multi-channel hi-res music (sacd/dvd-a) the most ideal would be having floorstanders all around. I'm sure a 5 x 604's would sound spectacular. But a 602 all around plus sub would be great. Basically, try to keep as close to having identical speakers all around as possible. If you feel like you really want a floorstander like the 603 or 604..... I'd say pair up the 603's with the 601's and the 604's with the 602's. My reasoning being that the 603 is essentially the 601 with a bass driver... and the 604 is the 602 with dual lower end drivers.

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
While I do think the 600 class is a great "bang for the buck" lineup, I'm not a huge fan of the 604/605. I tend to agree with Philip. Spend less on the mains and dump the money into a quality sub. You'll get a better sounding system for music and movies.

I use my system for about 75/25 music/movies. I have the CC6S2 center. I think it's somewhat underrated, but...the LCR is CLEARLY a better center. If I watched more movies, I'd upgrade it. But since my setup is mostly for music, it's fine for me.

I wish I could take Philip's suggestion and have identical speakers across the front. Beware: If you don't go with a shielded center ch, it can easily wreak havoc with your TV if the center is too close. I think the only sheilded speakers in the 600 lineup are the center channels.

I use the 601s for rears. I find they are an awsome speaker for the price. Certainly a better price performance ratio than my 603 mains.

Sorry, not feedback on a local discount for ya. Maybe ebay or something?

Happy Hunting!

--Steve

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
Philip is right. I had 604S2's originally, but ended up going with 602S2's on nice stands after I heard them coupled with a Paradigm PW-2200 sub. To me they just sounded better. I really can't put my finger on why, they just "did".

Pete

RobertSchaez

Stunt Coordinator
Just remember when comparing the "best bang for the buck" in bookshelf vs floorstanders, you will have to shell out more money for decent stands, as well as more money for a better sub (that integrates well). Just something to consider...:)
R

JohnThompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Thompson
Thanks for the input - I have an SVS PCi 20-39 Sub, so I think I might take everyone's advice and get the 602's. The 602 and the 604 have the same midrange driver (the 180 mm one) and I believe that is why they sound A LOT better than the 603 (or the 601, for that matter). I am leaning on getting 602's all the way around right now, and will take Philip, Hyun, and Steve's advice and audition another 602 and the CNT for the center channel.

Any way I go, I have nothing to lose. I found a dealer that will let me upgrade my B&W's for as long as I have them (or as long as he is in business)

Thanks for the input,

JT

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
Don't get me wrong. I like my 603 mains better than either the 601 or 602. It's just that dollar for dollar, I think the bookshelves are a better bargian. Especially if you'll have a quality sub anyway. The advantages of having a tower start to diminish pretty quickly at that point, IMHO.

--Steve

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
I agree with those that like the 602, I was planning on geting a pair of 603 or 604s a while back and the "salesman" (my buddy who owns the shop) MADE me listen to the 602s first before I put my hard earned $ down. I ended up with the 602 mains and 601 rears. I now have CDM7NTs, so it wasn;t much of a "bookshelf VS tower" issue, they just happened to sound better.

btw, Have you ever thought about getting the CDM1NT mains ($1200), CDMCNT ($600) center, and 600s3 ($350 ?) and a sub, that would be a great set up for the $$.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Be careful if you plan on using a 602 as a center. It is not a shielded speaker. For me, on top of my RPTV, it's far away enough to not cause problems, but it wouldn't work on a direct view.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks