Need advice ASAP on Tosh 50HX81

Discussion in 'Displays' started by GregAK, Jul 4, 2003.

1. GregAK

GregAK Agent

I just received my Tosh 50HX81 that I got a good deal on by using Ubid.com. It is refurbished with a 90 day warranty (which AMEX doubles). I had it for one day and was loving it until I turned it off last night. I heard a kind of a popping noise that I didn't like. When I tried to turn it back on, the red power light came on and then started blinking, but no picture. I had it plugged into a surge protector which was plugged into a 2 prong outlet using a 3 prong adapter. The red surge light on the power strip was lit. After unplugging and replugging it several times I got a picture again but couldn't change the channel and the volume level was permanently on the screen but no volume was coming from the TV. I turned it off again and it would not come on after that.

This afternoon I plugged it directly into the wall outlet and it came on and is working fine again.

Does anyone have any idea what happened to it last night? Could there be permanent damage done or could this be the reason it was "refurbished" in the first place? Why would it work fine now though? Should I still call a technician even though it is working fine now?

I really hope someone who knows TVs or has this TV can shed some light on this for me. Obviously, it is very upsetting to me to pay so much for a TV and have this type of problem so soon. And please don't bash me for buying a refurbished TV. Thanks.
    Greg

2. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Its a known bug for Toshiba sets but it has also been shown to go away after a few days or weeks. But don't get too comfy. If it doesn't improve, call a tech in since ur warranty is kinda short.

3. GregAK

GregAK Agent

Thanks for the reply. I guess I feel a little better that I'm not alone with this issue, but I do hope that it does not continue to happen. It's kind of annoying to have to wait 12 hours or so to use your TV again. I think I will call a tech while I'm under warranty just to be safe.

So I can be clear on this, is this an internal TV issue only? Does it have anything to do with the power source or power surges?? I want to have my landlord change out my 2 prong plugs for 3 prong if it will help anything. Thanks again.
    Greg