Need advice and links for purchase of a VCR

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alex Mendoza, Sep 11, 2001.

1. Alex Mendoza

Alex Mendoza Auditioning

Well you might say go down to "insert local elec store" and just pick one up, well not that easy. Actually I am asking for a colleague. His parents are on their 3 going on 4th VCR, they do heavy recording 8 hrs a day 7 days a week, I dont know how the can watch them tapes. I used to work with CCTV vcrs and they are made to last and last love them panys, but does anyone know where we can find similar VCR with heavy use Heads with a tuner so they can record merrily? BTW HD recorder are not a option, from what I was told they would rather spend money on a technology they understand.
    Thanks

2. Alex Mendoza

Alex Mendoza Auditioning

BUMP

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Some irritating problems with some VCR's.
    Program Review (seeing what shows you set up to record via timer) automatically flips to the next one before you have a chance to read what it says. If you want to delete a program and it flips at the same time you hit delete, it deletes the wrong thing. Pass up a VCR with this problem regardless of price or features or Consumer Report, you will curse it sooner or later.
    When you set up a program to record via timer, it takes forever and or dozens of button presses to get to the start time of 8 PM when it is now 8 AM.
    When you hit Stop to go to the bathroom or resume watching TV after the commercial barrage, it continues grinding its head against the tape, causing tape wear, for another few minutes unless you eject the tape, losing your tape counter position. (Known as instant play)
    Unable to change one parameter, such as the start time for 60 Minutes for just this week because the football game ran overtime, without deleting the whole show and starting over.
    Try out the VCR in the store, including timer recording of a 5 minute segment, before buying.
    Other video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm
    [Edited last by Allan Jayne on September 12, 2001 at 07:09 AM]

4. KevinW

KevinW Stunt Coordinator

Tivo!!! If they have that many shows that they need to keep up with I would definately look into Tivo. If they are not technical people, you might want to get some details about it and present it to them in a way they can understand. You should have seen me explaining my Directv/Tivo unit to my mom!

5. Alex Mendoza

Alex Mendoza Auditioning

Thanks but my friends parents said no tivo for them

6. KevinW

KevinW Stunt Coordinator

Ok, how about the new sony's. I've had the model 71 for about 6 months now and it works great. Well, as great as a VHS can work anyway. [​IMG] It is very easy to program. Has this little jog dial on the front. Even my wife commented on how easy it is.