Need advice about an acting agent

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by tyler payne, Feb 7, 2004.

1. tyler payne

tyler payne Second Unit

Hey, gals and pals. I'm new to the forum and I need some advice.

A couple of days ago at work, I work in retail, I was on break outside joking around with a couple of guys. A woman approached me and asked if she could talk with me. She said that she worked for an agent that represents actors and asked if I had ever considered acting. I told her that I had no experience with acting and that I had no formal training.

She said that I should submit a head shot and resume to the agency she worked at. My first thought was that this was some kind of money scheme, and I asked what kind of fees were necessary. She told me that they agency she worked for only made money when their clients made money, and no money changed hands until they got you a job.

I have since done some research and found that the agency is accredited with SAG. The points that I am seeking advise on are: (1) Do I need to submit a professional head shot, or can I just submit a nice head shot I take myself? (I have tried to call the agency to ask them but I have only had time to call after their business hours, and I feel funny leaving messages for someone I do not know.) (2) What should I include on my resume? I don't think they would be very interested in my retail or landscaping background. I worked for a radio station for a couple of years as on-air talent, have done amateur stand up when I was in college on campus and at local clubs, and play a couple of instruments. (piano, and saxophone)

I am just a little scared because I am not a go getter kind of guy. I have confidence in myself, but I just go with the flow. I got the radio station gig because a friend of mine worked at the station and I would go hang out with him, and the Program Director offered me the job. The stand up thing started by going to amateur nights (no cover) and got a little tipsy and got talked into going on stage.

I am still good friends with the Program Director at the radio station, should I list him as a reference? (after making sure it is OK with him of course.) Do I list my musical abilities, as limited as they are?

I would like to thank you all in advance for any advice you can provide me with.

2. Grant B

Grant B Producer

My wife does photoshoots and small parts. Shes in a few HP ads and Japanese TV loves her[​IMG]

A friend of ours did the head shot and it seems to work.
    Tyler
    Most actors are waiters or something; very few make livings from acting alone.
    Put your stand up in the resume that's pretty big
    Good Luck

3. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

I agree... Definately list the stand up... Also, list the radio station gig... List things that you have done that you feel might appeal to them... List your current job as well... You never know what types of experience someone might be looking for... I wont give much advice because I am not very familiar in this area...

I will just say that you definately should go for it and take the chance... You never know what could come out of this... If it doesnt work out, at least you cant say you didnt try... Dont let the "What if" happen to you... Five years from now you dont want to be thinking "I didnt do it" but "What if I did???"

Take the shot... It cant hurt...

Good Luck!!!

4. tyler payne

tyler payne Second Unit

Thanks!

I appreciate your candidness and sincerity in your advice. I talked to my old boss at the radio station about using him as a reference and he said yes, which I new he would but I always like to ask. Anyway he said that he could probably get the guy who takes photos for the station web site to do some head shots for me for free or for really cheap. Nice to have friends who have some pull. [​IMG]

Again thanks for the advice, but one more question. Should I submit a head shot in color or black in white?

Thanks again in advance.

5. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Put up a few on a web page and note it in your resume

6. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Tyler, you can get both, but most actors I know use a B&W head shot. That being said, the industry is moving more to color ones these days.

You should be able to get a professional one for cheap. I would get a professional one done. If you are seriously interested in this, don't scrimp. (They aren't THAT expensive...last time I checked, I could get a good one done for 150 (cdn))

No offense to Grant, but do NOT put "see my website for photos" on your resume. Instant refusals from any producers/casting-agents. And a good agent should tell you that. Your head-shot is your business card. First means of contact...

I'm probably signing up with a new agent in my area shortly... a quote from their site:

Here is
    what they have to say about resumes...

Note that an acting resume is VERY different from a normal job-seeking one. References aren't something you need, frankly. There are examples on that site, and if you visit the talent section of the site, you can see real ones that are completed.

If the agent that spoke to you (which is VERY cool) wants to represent you, speak with her and get her advice on how to market yourself, seeing as you don't have a great deal to add to your resume.

Your agent works FOR YOU, and they make money by marketing you. This woman thought you had something...which is pretty damned cool. [​IMG]

Good luck! [​IMG]

7. tyler payne

tyler payne Second Unit

Thanks Tony, a lot of good information for me to look at.

I just wanted to say that I don't have any delusions of grandeur. Someone wanted me to send them some stuff and I think I will, but I'm not quitting my job tomorrow, or anything like that. Even if I do get representation, I know that 90 percent of actors have to work other jobs to pay the bills.

Thanks again for all the advice people have offered, I really do appreciate it.

"I do not regret the things I have done, only those I have yet to do." - Empire Records

8. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

I'd be one of those 90% folks. [​IMG] I'd LOVE to pursue acting full-time. But I also enjoy paying my bills and eating. [​IMG]

Still, if it's something you can do on the side...who knows? [​IMG]

If you ARE seriously interested though, get a good head-shot. [​IMG]

9. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

Tyler:

I'm an entertainment attorney in L.A.

If it's something you're interested in pursuing (which it must be if you're posting about it???) I'd say go for it...

My guess is she's an agent assistant (which is the next stop after the mail room, and one step below being "an agent") These people are encouraged to be aggressive. She may be going up to everybody trying to bring in leads... which is how you move up in the business. If you've checked with SAG and they're on the up and up, I would go get a B&W headshot (Usually you have to get a minimum order) w/ resume and send it to her with a cover letter reminding her where you met.

The resume should include ANY entertainment experience after high school. Highlight musical, singing, dialect, comedy or dancing ability. Also include Ht/ Wt/ Eyecolor and hair color. DONT FORGET TO HAVE YOUR NAME PUT ON THE FRONT!!!

Do not feel weird about leaving messages on her machine... It's a weird business, and she knew it was weird when she started.