What's new

Need advice about a DVD purchased off Ebay (1 Viewer)

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Mods: if you feel this post belongs elsewhere, please move it. Thanks.

In a not-so-brilliant manuever, I ordered Animal House (the OOP version) off Ebay. As soon as I paid for it, I had an inkling that I was going to receive a not-so-legal copy. Today the disc arrived and I believe my fears have been confirmed.

The disc and casing just doesn't jive with my other Universal DVDs (like Blues Brothers). All the text is fuzzy (including the bar code), the pictures are really grainy, and the region symbol is missing the globe. The cover (the paper) also has pointed corners whereas all of our other Universal discs have rounded corners. It just seems like something you'd get off an inkjet printer.

As for the DVD, it will not play in any of our four players. The disc seems a bit flimsy compared to our other DVDs and there are these little embedded bubbles (?) on the disc itself.

For those of you with a legit copy of this disc, please confirm my suspicions that the cover is supposed to be clear and easily readable. Obviously the disc is supposed to be playable, I gather that ;)

I haven't confronted the Ebay seller yet, though. I'm convinced that pirated discs are all he sells so I'm not interested in an exchange. Should I press for a refund or what? What leverage do I have?

I didn't notice until after I won the auction that it said the disc was "imported" but region one. Can I safely assume on Ebay, "imported" means imported from China (or wherever) and pirated?

And last but not least, where I can get a legit copy of this movie? Either I'm a dufus and haven't looked hard enough or nobody has any left for sale.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
The OOP special edition of Animal House has a foil type cover (Sort of like the Fox 5 Star Editions) and all of the text is crystal clear.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
You really have to pay attention when bidding on OOP dvds. I looked at many of the current offerings on Ebay of this title and I must say that most of them looked like bootlegs. Phrases such as imported, region 0, playable on region 1 are tipoffs. Often the claimed inclusion of a DTS track gives it away; 3 day listings are highly suspicious. I did, however, come across a couple that seemed legitimate. If you have any doubt, e-mail the seller and see if he'll guarantee what he's selling. If the accompanying photo isn't readible enough (mostly they aren't), ask the seller if he can provide a better one of both the front and back.

With the coming release of Double Secret Probation, you ought to be find a copy more easily and cheaply as the older versions are dumped. I suggest looking through the For Sale section here and on Dvd Talk for more reliable sellers.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, you can play the "negative feedback" game, but the seller could also sack you with the same (should you want to wait until the 90 days are almost up to leave the feedback).

Just tell the seller that the DVD you bought is a bootleg (that doesn't even play in any of your 4 DVD players) and you want your money back. If somehow the money never gets returned after you send back the DVD, leave negative feedback (and be prepared to followup any nasty comment the seller may make for your feedback as a buyer).

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
And last but not least, where I can get a legit copy of this movie?
If you really want the OOP CE rather than the upcoming version, it looks like half.com has some for sale though as mentioned, the prices should come down once the new edition comes out.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Leila, definitely email the seller and ask for your money back. If they won't answer, or won't give it back, and you used paypal, file a paypal complaint. I actually got my $8 back for a DVD from Paypal that the seller didn't bother to send to me (or answer my multiple emails). I was surprised to see paypal come through on it. I had written it off as a loss.

And Leila, most of the "imported" DVDs are bootlegs. An "imported" DVD would not be region 1, that's a contradiction. There's a few all-region legit disks, but not many. Chinese or Korean subtitles are a good tipoff to a bootleg. I know you buy anime from a couple of other posts. Here is a good link on how to identify pirate anime:

http://www.digital.anime.org.uk/piratefaq.html#dvd

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Thanks everyone for the advice. The disc is for my husband (and I'm sure he's following this thread). I'm not entirely sure why he wants the OOP version, but that's what he wants.

I emailed the guy today and he offered to refund the cost of the disc and shipping charges. Eventhough he said he'd do it, he got real testy with me, saying things like "I'm 51 years old, don't threaten me" all because I told him I expect a reply by Monday. He basically said I wasn't giving him a chance to respond (like 3 days isn't a chance?) and that he has an excellent reputation so it's all my fault I'm unhappy. Nevermind the disc doesn't play at all! Even if I WANTED a bootleg copy, I would still be unhappy. That kinda pissed me off.

So anyway I'll send it back to him and see if he refunds me. :rolleyes

Thanks Brian for the confirmation. This disc is definitely NOT gold foil covered. But the guy basically admitted to it being a bootleg in his email.

I did pay via paypal so I still have recourse if I don't get the money back. I'm hoping he values his Ebay feedback enough to not screw with me.

Thanks Marvin for the mention of half.com I'll have to check it out. And thanks Dave for the link. I haven't purchased Anime off Ebay yet, just reputable online retailers. But the thought crossed my mind so the info is good to know.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Just make sure you keep ALL the emails, so if he doesn't refund you, you can forward all the information to eBay and get his ass kicked off. Selling bootlegs is COMPLETELY unacceptable, imho.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I did pay via paypal so I still have recourse if I don't get the money back. I'm hoping he values his Ebay feedback enough to not screw with me.
Just make sure to open an incident with them within 30 days of when you paid. Otherwise, if you wait too long, you'll be at the mercy of the seller.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Yeah I'll hang onto all the emails. I just paid him this past week so I still have a little bit of time. I'm sending him the disc on Monday, so hopefully he'll refund me quickly. I may report him anyway, but I'll wait until he leaves me feedback first.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks