Need adivce on a college audio system.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Seth_S, Nov 8, 2002.

1. Seth_S

Seth_S Second Unit

This is probably a first at the Home Theater Forum, I need some input on a low end audio system. My Sony CMT-EX1 is dying and I'm looking to replace it in the next month. Since I'm currently living in a college dorm room, and surely will be living in a different place every year for the next few years, I'm looking for something which takes up minimal space, is preferably under $300 and obviously has decent sound quality (good luck, I know).

I haven't been to impressed with what I've seen (admittably my price range doesn't help, but I think it's insane spending something like $500 on a mini system). So, are there any units that anyone would recommend that I look at? (Oh, I also listen to classical music, so I'm looking from something with a mid-range)

thanks

2. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

3. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

Do you have a PC with a decent soundcard in your room Seth? Or a Sony discman or the like you can use for the source? If so you might be pretty happy with some good "multimedia" PC speakers. Something like the Klipsh Pro Media 2.1's or the Swan M200s or something along those lines might do exactly what you want. 3dsoundsurge has some good reviews of the m200s and other PC speakers.

Seth

4. Seth_S

Seth_S Second Unit

Jason Wilcox,

I've thought about putting together a system like yours, but space is an issue. While I'm not living in a 5x5 box, smaller is better.

Seth_L,

I've also considered that option. Right now I have Monsoon MM-702 which are great with DVDs, but iffy with music. I think my DVD-rom is actually at fault here, not the sound card. Anyway, since i have a pair of PC speakers that I like, I'm not really looking to buy another set.

thanks for the feedback.