What's new

Need (actually want :P) to upgrade Sub - Advice? (1 Viewer)

Chris VP

Auditioning
Hey everyone - I was thinking about upgrading or adding another sub to my setup. I've got Klipsch all the way around and use a Mirage PS-12 Sub. I've had the sub for about 5 years or so and feel that my movies are ever so slightly lacking in the Bass Dept. The Mirage has a 12 inch cone - 150W amp - sealed enclosure - it gets down to about 24Hz or so but not without noticeable distortion. It outputs a max of about 101 DB (tested with the big explosion in Clear And Present Danger) and sounds good - But I feel like "something" is missing?
So I thought about possibly passing the sub onto one of my buddies who just got bit by the bug:) and buying something BIGGER - BETTER - DEEPER:D or possibly integrating the sub into my rear channels (any experience/ advice on this subject?). I was all set to go and check out the new reference line of subs from Klipsch - But my local dealer told me to stay away:frowning: I'd be willing to spend around $1000.00 or so but not much more - So with this price range in mind - is the search for deeper bass all but lost? Let me know:D

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
If you have the 1000, why not go for SVS new 999 20-39CS+ with a Samson S-1000 amp. Then at a later date, if you want more power, just add a second one for 600.

Or if you want more extension, go for the 16-46CS+, only 50 over your budget.

Never mind I'm ignoring shipping costs here.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Chris,

I'm sure you've read a lot about SVS here, and they really are outstanding. While the 16-46CS sounds sexy, the 20-39 is probably a better all around choice. It will be money well spent and if it doesn't satisfy you, nothing anywhere near $1000 will.

Chris VP

Auditioning
So...... 3 votes for SVS. I know everyone here loves these subs, but I have yet to actually hear one myself and remain somewhat skeptical. So these guys make great subs right, what about when you compare them to one of the larger sub makers that blow millions on R&D every year? I would assume that I would get better bang for my buck from a major manufacturer :confused: How do these subs hold up over time? Warrantee?
See, I'm looking for something that's going to last me a long time and keep me very happy:D I spent years upgrading this n that, always wanting the next best thing, and going broke at the same time. I had to stop.... for a while . So I actually haven't bought anything substantial in about 2 long years. I guess I'm ready to get back into the game:laugh: I figured a sub would be the first thing to start with - seeing how I feel the bass is somewhat lacking - And what better place to go for advice than the good ole HT Forum;)
Any thoughts on integrating my existing sub into my rear channel?

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Chris,
Normally I wouldn't purport to be an unbiased source but I feel I can objectively answer most your questions (though I would be remiss if I didn't implore you to visit our site at www.svsubwoofers.com and check out the reveiws page and FAQ's for starters).
First how do we compare? Well we sell direct so we can provide content and quality that is simply impossible with a traditional retail model. If we sold our subs thru stores they would cost two to three times what they do (and still compete well). Go here for some recent tests results on some of the more costly competition: here
Blow millions on R/D? Maybe you are right about that choice of words. You mean the corner bakery doesn't make cookies that blow Nabisco "Chips Ahoy" out of the water? Sure they do. Nabisco probably spends millions on R/D too. And BILLIONS on marketing. Don't mean a thing.
More bang for the buck from a big maker? See the above charts. I think you have it 180 deg. wrong, but I AM partial to small, high content, service oriented small companies.
Last a long time? See if you find a maker that warrants subs for more than 3 years. There may well be some. Not many I bet. Our reliability is very good, and replacement parts typically ship in a day or two, worst case, with very liberal policies. I happen to know of a friend that sent his big name sub (name withheld) TWICE in for service, and it still came back broke.
You are right on about what a good sub can do to your system. And the key is to test a sub in YOUR room. You have 45 days to do so with an SVS and risk only shipping. But since even a high end store isn't going to reimburse you for time, gas, trouble to return a sub at a store, we don't feel this is much of a dissadvange. We even arrange UPS pickup if you are not pleased with your sub. Given our return rate is some absurd number below 1% we can take the time to do this.
Look over some of the reviews on our site, and the ones at Audio Review (we have NO control over what's published there), and see the former skeptics bubble over with what say about a small company that still cares about making the best subs in the world (much more so than say funding the next full page ad in Sound and Vision).
Ron

Chris VP

Auditioning
Well Ron - If there were one skeptical bone left in my body - it would surely be my CA$H bone :D Cause that's all I'm worried about now after you set my mind at ease. I guess SVS is the only way to go - not one single response for another sub manuf...... very interesting indeed. Sorry but I been out of the game for the last two years, so please forgive my skepticism. The only question I have now is: How much more "BOOM" am I going to get by going with that new CS-Ultra sub? How long till they ship ? I figure I'll sell my sub to my buddy and only spend a little over $1K for the sub ;)

J

John Morris

How much more "BOOM" am I going to get by going with that new CS-Ultra sub? How long till they ship ?
Chris: I have an Ultra and all I can say is that the first time you watch a movie with some real low freq bass, you will feel uncomfortable and un-nerved. That's how low, loud and clean these subs play... That said, if the 16-46cs+ subs are as good as TV says, they might just be the ticket for alot of us.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation192
Recent bookmarks