Need a VCR compatible with Hughes DirectTV receiver...

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Rich Tysinger, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Rich Tysinger

Hello everyone. I never could get my JVC HR-S9911U VCR to program channels to record from DirectTV. I'm using a Hughes receiver, and I'm wondering if anyone can recommend another VCR (cheapo or otherwise) that will work with it, or if there are any other HR-S9911U owners that have managed to get their VCR to record off of DirectTV using a Hughes receiver. Thanks!

2. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    My 4-5 year old Sylvania model 2870LV would sense the signal input thru thru A/V jacks and turn itself on and start recording. When there was no longer a signal present, it would turn itself back off again. It was called "Satellite Link". Very useful. Until I got my Tivo [​IMG] .

3. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

most vcr's should take the signal from the receiver (does it have the ir emitter?) hughs receivers don't take well to universal remote codes (I've only found a handful of remotes that work them well)

4. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Isn't that the high end vcr that has S-Video? I have the 7600 and I simply hook the Hughes receiver through the vcr and leave it at L-1.

5. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

Try to control the VCR with the receiver rather than vice versa.

But I strongly recommend migrating to DirecTivo instead. They are cheap, $99 + $5/month ($0/month if Total Choice Premier). Record two shows at once, no quality loss in video or audio, playing back either show from any point or a previously recorded show at the same time. Much easier to program. VCR is 20th century tech. Get with the times! You can record everything, watch on your own schedule.