What's new

Need a vacation: Florida, Carribean, or Mexico? (1 Viewer)

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I'm in the midst of an unbelievably stressful upgrade at work and when I'm done, I'm really going to be in dire need of a vacation. I've tossed about a few ideas with my girlfriend, but we can't decide on Mexico, the Carribean or Florida. Neither one of us has ever been to Mexico or the Carribean. A few caveats: this will be taking place after the spring break madness, we're looking for probably a seven-day trip, we need to see some sun and sand (meaning no seven days in Orlando) and no cruises (the GF is worried about getting seasick.) If anyone has a favorite town/city/resort I'd like to hear about it. And if anyplace you've been has strong pros or cons, please share.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
meaning no seven days in Orlando
You don't want to come here anyways... too many damn tourists ;)

I would suggest the Carribean... very laid back place where you can just grab a couple beers, fish, gamble (in some places), and sit on the beach (well, at least in my experience in the Bahamas) :)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Hilton Head Island, South Carolina is a great place to go to. There are bike trails pretty much everywhere you go, you can go on a peaceful canoeing trip, relax on the beach, eat at the famous Salty Dog Cafe, explore Indian ruins, etc. A great place to play tennis or golf, and really just make your worries go away. Well...it's supposedly nicknamed "Gator Country", and that had me a bit freaked out the first couple of times I was there, but I haven't seen one gator yet. I've seen a few deer on the bike trails though. Fear the deer! :D

HHI probably isn't as good as Mexico or the Carribean would be with the added cultural aspect, but I still highly recommend it as a travel/vacation destination.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
How about the FL Keys? The Middle Keys will get you sun, sand, and solitude, or head down to Key West to swill away your vacation.:)

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
What kind of budget? No limit? Are you looking for nice sand and going swimming right where you stay or is swimming not important? Are things to do on the side important? Like golfing? Like beautiful views to go with your beach or is simple sand good enough?

In the last year or so I've been to Cancun, Miami, and Los Cabos. Answer those questions and I can give you a more informed answer.

DwightK

Second Unit
My favorite place/choice would be the pacific coast of Costa Rica. From exploring a primary growth rain forest, deep sea fishing, Mayan ruins, world class surfing, Scuba, active volcano, and stuff. Plus they don't hate USA.

Been there twice in the last 3 years:) The civilized time was mostly spent staying at at Melia Playa Conchal near Tamarinda. The uncivilized time was spent on the Ocho peninsula at the Drake bay Wilderness Camp.

I do like most everywhere in the Caribbean I have been to with a few exceptions such as St. Thomas (was great in the late 70's but sucks now) and Martinique.

St. Lucia and Barbados would be my Caribbean island choices, Roatan, Honduras also.

I do not like Mexico. I do like the Florida Keys, mainly in the Islamorada area.

If you are in to exclusivity, then an island like Palm island or Salt Whisle bay on Mayreau is the bomb but they aren't cheap unless you sail there on a charter boat (or your own).

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
... and no cruises (the GF is worried about getting seasick.)
She won't. I can only say (from my experience with the recent HT-Cruise): take a cruise!

My wife always gets seasick, even in a car sometimes, even on a swing. And in fact she did during a trip on a small boat we took from the island Cozumel (where the cruise-ship anchored) to the shore. We didn't have to take that one, BTW.

But not on the ship. Not even closely. It's steady as a rock, with gyroscopes and the like. You may even miss the take-off if you're not looking outside your window. No-one of the 3000 passengers got seasick on that boat.

And it's a terrific experience, covering ALL of the places you mentioned (if you wish to do so). It will be the two of you (the other people are not Sartre's hell in this case), free and detached. Beautiful!
(My wife and I are determined to repeat it.)

Cees

Michael*K

Screenwriter
She won't. I can only say (from my experience with the recent HT-Cruise): take a cruise!
I would love to take a cruise, but she's too stubborn. If I could just get her on a three-day one so she could see how stable they are... Of course, the recent spate of highly publicized cases of cruise ship bacterial illnesses didn't help my cause much. :frowning:

Thanks for the tips so far.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
No more than $1400 pp. It would be nice to have a beach on the property. It would be nice to do things outisde of the hotel/resort at least a couple days or nights. Golf...no way. The view would be a bonus, but isn't required to have a good time.
Do you like snorkeling? 2 people right?

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Well, we want to spend seven days somehere and keep in under $2800 total, so yeah, $550/night is out of reach. Haven't done any snorkeling since I was a kid, but I'd like to do it again. Probably will take in a little water the first time or two before I get the hang of it.

I saw a picture of the Westin Regina resort somewhere. Certainly unique architecture. We'll add it to the list of "maybes"

JoshF

Supporting Actor
I recommend Barbados. Wonderful place. Look into Sandy Beach resort in Christ Chuch. Beautiful white sand beach and within walking distance to the St. Lawrence Gap where all the nightlife is. Take an all-day catamaran cruise with the folks at Cool Runnings, too.

You should be able to find some very good packages - I spent less than $2500 total for my girlfriend and I including a 1 bedroom suite with terrace and ocean views.

DwightK

Second Unit
A week at Drake Bay Wilderness Resort, all inclusive, with a day of deep sea fishing, and airflights was very close to 1400 each. A little less actually. Quite Eco though so that may not be your thing. Very unique experience.

Anthony's Key resort in Roatan has all inclusive scuba week vacations for under 1k each but you kinda have to be scuba dudes.

A week long captained and crewed charter sailboat from the Moorings in St. Lucia is under 2800 total. Not for the sea sick though.

You could get a place in tamarinda, Costa Rica with food for under that but you would have to find your own fun. Most people go there to surf and deep sea fish.

Just some stranger options I have enjoyed.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Having recently been to the Carribean I can wholeheartedly agree that you should do a cruise. We took a 7 day Princess Cruise and loved it.

Of the islands we saw, the best I can say are:
St Maarten(dutch side)

The rest didn't do it for me. St Maarten has tons of shopping, and what I consider to be some of the better beaches around on top of the fact you have plenty of things to do to keep you busy if you want to get off the beach. The great part about a cruise is you can see 4-5 islands and can decide to return to the ones you like. Peoples' tastes are so different that I like this idea personally. With the patch she won't get sick. She'll feel the boat moving but she won't get sick. My wife gets carsick and motion sick bad and these are wonderful.

Mexico: I've heard Playa Del Carmen is quite nice.(South of Cancun)

Keep in mind I used to book travel so I've seen alot of resorts previously. I don't have one in mind for St Maarten.

Also I've heard Aruba is quite nice. YOu should be able to do that for under $3k for 2 people. It's hurricane proof(basically) and has plenty to do like St Maarten.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
How about a quiet place 60 miles south of Cancun!http://www.oasishotels.com/oasis/akumal/intro.htm

Great Snorkeling, Deep sea fishing, Scuba, Ruins, or just plain old relaxing in an all inclusive resort. My wife and I went down there for a package of $1700 from Utah.

Not tons of shopping actually very little at the resort. But you can travel a little ways to local towns. The beach at the resort has a reef(spelling) that creates a natural swimming pool great for snorkeling! We stopped at several other resorts on the way down and Akumal was by far nicer with a tropical feel to it.:emoji_thumbsup:

Wes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks