Need a TV tuner / input card...probably.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Parris, Jan 16, 2003.

1. John Parris

John Parris Stunt Coordinator

Well, in the weeks (months?) I'll be waiting on my projector, I need to get ready for it...
    I would like to be able to watch standard cable on my projector (despite quality) as well as use older console games (NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, Dreamcast)... while my computer wont be on HTPC duty (DTS discs wont play, stuttering, drop-outs and loads of other problems), I think I can use it for line doubling and scaling of material such as gaming and basic cable... I'm guessing using my VCR as a cable box and input hub for all the gaming systems would look pretty crumby (still interlaced)...
    So I did a little research and I'm thinking a TV tuner/input card that works with DScaler will be my best bet... but I can't seem to find any sort of good info on any of the models that the DScaler website lists as compatible with NTSC (don't need PAL).
    I don't need any advanced features (capture, HDTV, etc.) though it couldnt hurt. All I need is the tuner and inputs for composite and s-video... I was looking at various WinTV models-- particularly the relatively cheap ($50) WinTV-GO ... would this suit my needs? I couldnt tell from any of the pics if that had S-video or not...
    Any help would be much appriciated. [​IMG]

2. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron
    The WinTV GO FM card I purchased doesn't have an S-Video input, just a composite input. However, an S-Video to Composite converter cable from Radio Shack solved that problem right away. As for compatibility with DScaler, I have no problems whatsoever. In fact, I prefer using DScaler over Hauppauge's own TV application because DScaler does such an impressive job of deinterlacing and cleaning up the image in real time.

If you want the card to work properly with applications such as Windows NetMeeting and VirtualDub, install the Windows 2000 drivers instead of the Windows XP drivers. DScaler will function just as well with either driver.

3. John Parris

Thanks for the info, Francois! I'm thinking this is going to be the best value for me...unless someone can suggest something else...

I really only need the S-video for PS2, but I'm thinking I'll upgrade to the component set for it anyway...

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

The best NTSC cards for the money right now are the Asus 880 TV Tuner (newegg - $80) with an S-video/composite break-out box and the ProLink PlayTV PVR (note, not the Pro which sucks, www.prolink-usa.com - $70).
    I prefer both of these to the cheaper cards as they output stereo audio from the TV Tuner as opposed to the WinTV/MSI cards.

5. Chris Svencer

Chris Svencer Stunt Coordinator

I have a similar question. My new video card (geforce4 ti4200) has an Svideo in. Is there a program I can get so i can stream my xbox input full screen through that. The software with the card only lets me preview stuff, its for making film strips.
    Svence

6. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron
    Oops! I forgot the Hauppauge card doesn't do stereo. That's because I use the card only as a video capture card and not as a tuner since my external sources are all digital (DVD, Satellite) or semi-digital (Laserdisc). Even the audio patch cord that came with the card isn't connected. Besides, the card was a great deal at $32 US.
    Chris, download the latest stable version of DScaler at http://www.dscaler.org and do try it out. I believe they support the NVidia chipset but I'm not 100% sure.

7. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Chris, I'm betting that is an S-video output, not input. My GF4 Ti4200 also has an output as do most other ones.
    btw- I'm selling my Prolink Xcapture card that has s-video and composite inputs, in like new condition in box w/documentation. I bought it off their site for $39 + $13 shipping, I'll sell for $40 shipped. Very clean capture, uses the Conextant encoding chip, and works with Dscaler (bought it for the good things I heard at AVS). Selling because I need a tuner now since the pc is close to the TV. Lmk if you're interested.

8. Chris Svencer

Chris Svencer Stunt Coordinator

Scott-
    I double checked and it does have both in and out for svideo and composite (VIVO its called i think).

Francois-
    I tried it and it doesn't support Nvidia unfortunitly. So any other suggestions? I am dieing to hook up my xbox through the svideo, I have an external VGA box now that kills the quality of the picture. Thanks.
    Svence

9. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Chris I know there's this program called nView that is embedded in the drivers for TV-out, accessed in the display properties > advanced. Maybe there's another one embedded for VIVO capabilities? If not there's always Vdub that can control any video input, not sure about making it fullscreen though.
    Also check out the website of the card manufacturer. They should have a program thatdoes what you're looking for if they made it.

10. Peter McDonald

Peter McDonald Stunt Coordinator

I also have this problem. My MSI Ti4400 has a video input, but MSI didn't include an app that could actually use it. (there's nothing on their website either)
    It's not very helpful when a company includes a driver, but not an app for using it [​IMG]
    Peter

11. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

"It's not very helpful when a company includes a driver, but not an app for using it"

Probably any video program can use it, just find the options to select the input device.

Anyway, ATI all in wonders are the best TV tuner crads, with tons of inputs and outputs and great features.

I have one and it has these connections:

RCA Audio in/out
    Composite video in/out
    S-Video in/out
    Coax digital audio out
    Digital video (Firewire) in (2)
    Component video out with optional $30 adapter.

12. John Parris

Sacha-- the ATI all in wonder is not compatible with DScaler according to thier website.
    Scott-- I can't find any of the cards you mentioned on DScaler's website (except the Prolink, which is NOT supported)
    Ok, I would like to have stereo sound, but it's looking like that's not too likely as the WinTV cards look to be the only option Ive found thus far in my price range... argh... this is more difficult than I realized. [​IMG]

13. Scott L

Scott L Producer

John the guys at AVS are saying that the next build of DScaler will support the Prolink. Some people say they have gotten the Asus to work but with some tinkering.

14. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

John:

I'm not sure exactly what DScaler does, but since the AIW 8500 and 9700s both can output component video from the DVI port (with the $30 adapter thingy), you might not even need DScaler.

15. John Parris

Brian-- I can't afford a new graphics board...The AIW 9700 costs more than 60% of the price of my HTPC... definately out of the question considering all I'm doing is deinterlacing and scaling horribly outdated video games [​IMG]
    Also I'm using the DVI output on my Radeon VE anyway, so no need for a switch to component.