What's new

Need a tutorial for ProntoEdit (1 Viewer)

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
Happy birthday to me!
I got a ProntoTSU2000 and I want to program it myself. I've installed ProtoEdit (the latest version), and messed around with it a little bit, but I'd really like some step-by-step instructions using it to program my Pronto.

I know about www.remotecentral.com - and I haven't thoroughly searched it, but I haven't found a "tutorial" for using ProntoEdit.

Anyone know where I can find something like that? Or have any of you Pronto programmers got some advice for a complete ProtoEdit Newbie?

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Chris I program these as a side business but I've yet to see a well written intro guide. Basically the best advice I can offer is to read then reread the FAQ on remotecentral then download a bunch of CCF's from there and walk though them to learn how they work. (alias's and macro's etc) The learning curve is pretty steep but honestly once it "clicks" its really very simple to use. If you get stuck don't hesitate to email me and i'll do what I can to get you going again.

Ken Custodio

Second Unit
I agree with Andrew, when I first started using ProntoEdit I thought it was a difficult program to use, but after using it for a bit and just fooling around with the CCF files others had already made, it kinda becomes second nature to use. When I first my TSU2000 I downloaded a complete system configuration file that I liked how it looked and worked, and just used pronto edit to learn my remotes commands instead of the ones in the original CCF. If that makes sense :) Then when I got comfortable with it I just started changing the components myself.

Chris,

I too just bought the TSU2000 (yesterday). I browsed remotecentral.com briefly; I'll try go into more detail tonite. It does seem pretty time consuming and confusing. Although, I have heard, once you set it up, the Pronto TSU2000 is the "Ferrari" of remotes!

If you do happen to find some good resources on it, I'd appreciate if you'd let me know too.

- Dave

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll be trying to get started this weekend on my remote. I haven't had a spare moment this week, I've been helping a friend set up their brand new Home Theater (Mitsubishi 55" Widescreen HDTV, Yamaha receiver, Digital Cable/HDTV, XBOX, DVD, etc). I really want a widescreen set after seeing that baby in action! Anyway....

One question:
When I download someone else's CCF file who has one of my components, (For example, the same model receiver that I have), Is it possible for me to "strip down" that CCF file so that it only contains the receiver codes and then "merge" it with my current CCF?

I know I'm not using the right terminology, but can I do what I've described? If I can, then it looks like I'll be able to knock out this puppy in a lot less time. Of course, I'll want to customize my remote to my own tastes, but it seems like that would save lots of time and effort of learning codes from other remotes.

Did any of this make sense? Man, I'm glad its Friday.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Yes you can do that. Simply delete all the other devices that you don't need then save it with a name that makes sense (like Pioneer_Receiver) Once you have done that for all the gear you need simply open one up then goto file and choose open. When you open the second one you'll be prompted to either merge the two or overwrite...choose merge and the two CCF's will now be one file..keep doing this for all the devices you saved before and you'll have a working file. Please note though that you'll likely loose the macro's they had programmed in and depending on the styles used it might look a little strange but its a start anyway. What I'd recomend instead is to simply download a replacement gallery file (there's one on my site) and use that to build your templates. Once you have all your devices loaded in with buttons labled as you see fit simply download that into your pronto and learn in all the codes. Once you get the hang of building the templates you'll fly along and the end product will look much more "together"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks