Need a system to fill large room for around $600

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Chase, May 27, 2005.

1. Chase

Chase Agent

I am moving into a new house with a semi large den area with my parents and am trying to get rid of myself of my HTIB Kenwood system and move up to something with a little more detail and power. My budget is around $500-$600. I can go a little more but I would like to stay close to that. This room has 18 ft celings btw if that makes a difference.

All the systems I have seen on ebay and other sites have been the small form factor systems but I want some towers and a center than can put out some nice mids and highs. I already have a nice JBL 12" 250watt subwoofer so all I need is a 5 speaker package.

Any ideas?

Some brands I really like are but I am not limited to these.

Atlantic Technology
    Polk Audio
    Klipsch
    M&K
    Definitive Technology

Any ideas?

2. chris_bester

chris_bester Agent

I'd audition Paradigm I love mine.

3. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

Large room, small budget...that's hard. Does $500-600 include a new receiver, or just the 5 speakers?

4. Chase

Chase Agent

Just 5 speakers.

5. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

Are you planning on doing much SACD/DVD-A surround music listening? If not, I'd go with the best LCR speakers you can afford and use your Kenwood HTIB front mains as your two rear surrounds...the surrounds only do maybe 10% of the work for most HT so they really are very low priority. If you absolutely hate your Kenwood's fronts then get the Polk R15s (jandr.com) or Fluance SV-6s (fluance.com) for $100/pair. Fry's Electronics sometimes will sell the R15s for $50/pair even.

I'd get a pair of Ascend 170s with an Ascend 340 center for $630 shipped, or if you want to save a little money you can go with the Ascend 170s across the front for $516 shipped.

6. Chase

Chase Agent

Im looking at a polk system right now from a member on these fourms.
    It consist of the following.

Center-Polk CS400I
    Fronts- POLK R50

Will these rs 50's match my cs400i?

7. Phil Hunt

Phil Hunt Extra

NO the R50's will not match the CS400i the tweters,and woffers are completely diffrent!
    I have some near mint polks I would be willing to sell for $600.00 shipped that will be better for you.
    I have the CS400i center and RT800i's mains that will smoke the R50's

i am only selling because i went with the smaller RT55i's as my mains because my wife likes the look of bookshelfs
    I have three 5.1 sets of these speakers i absolutly love them. I have tryed to upgrade to speakers that cost 3 times as much,and these polks just blow them away.
    You will not find bigger sound from any other speaker in this price range the polks just rock!!!

8. Chase

Chase Agent

ok I just bought some rt600's to go along with the cs400i center. Will some rt15's work ok for the surrounds?

9. Phil Hunt

Phil Hunt Extra

I hope you got the RT600i's they have the same blue driver as the CS400i if not they sound complety diffrent and for surounds you need to go with RT25i's or RT35i's to match the tweters i dont have any for sale but there is a polk fourm on there website there are some good deals in the flea market section

10. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Yep, that will make a difference!

I'm going to suggest a brand the audio snobs usually turn their noses up at, but if one really checks out the technology that these particular models use compared to the other, more well-known series, you will see why I think these could be what you're looking for:

Cerwin-Vega "Classic" series.

Two of the 3-ways for front mains, the center channel and a pair of the 2-way bookshelves should work fine.

No you won't see these featured on any HGTV decorator's list, but they sure look cool to me! And according to this guy, the soft-dome tweeters are made by Vifa so they should sound quite smooth (and check out who designed these speakers). The horn will mostly just make them more efficient. Speaking of efficiency, these are rated at an average of @92dB compared to their more aggressive sounding E-Series* cousins which average around 98dB, a BIG difference. To me this will translate to a smoother sound (the E-series is sometimes accused of sacrificing low bass for loud *mid* bass--but to have both loud & low bass causes the price to shoot up very quickly). And I wouldn't worry about the treated surround on the midrange either--many classic speakers still respected for their sound quality use this type of suspension system.

And since large speakers like these aren't "sexy" these days, relatively speaking they don't cost much. The 10" woofer version goes for only about $375/pair.

BTW: the E-Series sounds decent too but they can get on your nerves if you don't like a very punchy & alive quality to your music (though the built-in adjustable level controls should help with that).

* when you get to the E series page, to see the additional text decriptions at the bottom, for me anyway I had to click on my browser's full-screen button to make it all visible.