Need a surge protector for my SVS...

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Vincent_S, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

I want a small surge protector for just my SVS since it is too far away to be plugged into my main one. The only ones I have been able to find are the Monster SW200 and the Panamax 2(?). Am I missing another brand that makes a small one? I couldn't find anything on the Acoustic Research website. I would also like to keep this less than $50. Thank you.

P.S.- I did a search but people seem to ask about bigger ones and all I want is a small one.

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Well how's about replacing your outlet with one that also incorporates a surge protector like this one from Leviton? That's a nice elegant solution that doesn't clutter up your floor. It's also industrial grade so it's built a little beefier. Comes in decorator colors to meet normal spousal unit approval too. I don't know if HD or Lowes carries it (give 'em a call) but you may find that, or something similar over at your local electrical supply house.

3. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

Or you could do what Chu suggested to me a couple months ago and get a whole house surge protector and protect everything in your house. It would be a little more than $50, but well worth it.

Neal

4. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Vincent,

If you go for a plug-in, the Panamax MAX2 is far superior, and contains the same level of protection features as its larger 10-outlet cousins. You can find it for $29.99 (plus shipping) HERE

Chu Gai's suggestion for a Leviton is workable, but the unit offers just 320 Joules spike energy absorbtion, and no voltge shutdown feature, compared to the Panamax 2 with 1360 Joules. (I have one of these Levitons, but I use it to plug in my wireless telephone).

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I was too tired to type the whole house thing again...one of these days I'll have to summarize it and perhaps the mods will put it in the FAQ area. Bill is quite right, there are no shut down features on the wall outlet type I suggested. We pick our poisons and make the best [​IMG]

6. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

Thanks for the replies everyone. Bill, I will definitely look into that since I drove all over town today and everyone was either out of them or don't even carry a small one[​IMG]