Need a Suggestion for a Player with DVD+R Compatibility

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Pat Frank, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Pat Frank

Pat Frank Stunt Coordinator

I recently purchased a Toshiba 3950 and was disappointed to find that it won't play my DVD+R movie backups. I know it's a little anal, but I copy every movie I buy with DVDXCopy and a DVD+R burner, and play only the archive copy, but of course this won't work if the unit won't play back the DVD+R media.

I'm looking for a unit to replace the Toshiba, but I want to make *sure* that it's compatible before I spend the money. So far the ones I've seen that are popular here on the forum that say they're compatible are the Phillips DVD727 and the JVC units. Both are available locally and cheap. I've read the other input from folks here on these two units, so I'm just looking for DVD+R compatibility confirmation.

If anyone can confirm for me that they play back DVD+R discs perfectly then I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Newer models from Philips, JVC, and Panasonic support all types DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW. Avoid Sony and Toshiba their support is poor. I'd say JVC is the best in the under $100 area, they load faster and more reliably.

3. Pat Frank

Pat Frank Stunt Coordinator

Ok, thanks for the input. [​IMG]

4. Chuck Schilling

Chuck Schilling Stunt Coordinator

The Pioneer 563A plays DVD+R perfectly. I know this because I have one and have played about twenty different DVD+R's on it. My Mitsubishi 6030 also plays them perfectly, so I can recommend either one (though I don't have any idea whether the 6030 is still being manufactured).

5. JohnnyCasaba

JohnnyCasaba Agent

Have 2 older Pioneer players in the house and both have no problems with either format. Here is a good site to check media compatibility on various DVD players.

Site