What's new

need a subwoofer for a yamaha RX-V485 (1 Viewer)

DanTheMan1379

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel
hi
i have a RX-V485 and i need a subwoofer that works with this
receiver. my budget is $120 for the subwoofer. any suggests?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
While I don't have personal experience with the BIC, they are well-liked by many on the site and will give you better performance than the smaller Polk.

Good luck with your purchase.

If you can, please report back and let us know what you think.

DanTheMan1379

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel
well im pretty new at this sound system stuff. initially when i bought the V485 i thought it came with speakers and subwoofer. When it didn't i hooked up the speakers from my previous sound system. but the previous subwoofer didn't have a built-in amplifier. opps.... thats how i learn i guess.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well...you're beginning a fun journey.

...which each and every one of us at the HTF underwent at some time in our hobby...and that's getting started.

I started off in 2000 with the purchase of an all-in-one system @ Circuit City that featured a Sony receiver and Jensen speakers and subwoofer. Since then I have upgrade each and every part of my system several times over. And I predict that will be in your future, too. We even have a medical term for it..."upgradeitis!" :D

I hope you continue to take advantage of all the expertise our members have to offer (on hardware AND software). :welcome:

My first HT purchase:

full

DanTheMan1379

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel
well looks like a sweet deal :)

hey for the future how do i know if a receiver comes with everything? is there keywords i look for in getting a whole set? i feel like such a newbie LOL

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
When buying a receiver, of chief importance are the features. Will the receiver do all the things you want it to do? After you determine that...you are left to usual comparison shopping based on price, brand, user friendliness, etc. Read reviews! Crutchfield is a great place to start. They have very well-written descriptions of each receiver and what they can do. But there are many, many places to get info.

What do I mean by features? How many speakers do you want? What audio formats? Do you want to stream audio from a laptop? Do you want more than one zone of speakers to be set up? When you become a more-advanced gearhead, you might look more carefully at the amount of power and various specs that speak to what the overall sound that's provided to your speakers might be.

well looks like a sweet deal

At the time, I was the happiest guy around. And then that dreaded "upgradeitis" kicked in. :laugh:

I continue to be a very blessed guy and am thrilled with the gear I have...even though it is far from some of the high end stuff that is talked about on these pages. It is still damn good and fills my room in a way that makes me happy every time I turn it on.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Looking back at your post, I may have mis-read your question.

If you were looking for a "home theater in a box" (which usually include a receiver, surround speakers, subwoofer and sometimes even a disc player) you just need to carefully read the description. Onkyo makes several good sets of these. My son is still using one which he purchased back in 2012. (although he has needed to replace just the receiver). Again, do your homework and figure out which one would best suit your needs. And also know that the Onkyo sets are made up of individual pieces which are upgradeable in that they have standard connections which can interact with nearly any other gear you might buy down the road. Other brands use proprietary connection and that when one piece dies, you are very limited to whether that piece can be replaced.

DanTheMan1379

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel
Here is the full story: i bought a Onkyo two years ago and a year in, the back speakers stopped working so i brought the v485 and used Banana plugs and now all channels work except SW. Maybe the Onkyo was an easy fix? not sure but the back speakers work with the yamaha. WEIRD . The onkyo had no tone tester or wifi.

DanTheMan1379

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel
i didn't measure the detentions . The polk subwoof fits where i need it to fit but it has no Sub out? Please help.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
i didn't measure the detentions . The polk subwoof fits where i need it to fit but it has no Sub out? Please help.

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking here.

Are you asking about the BIC F12 (instead of the Polk subwoofer)? The sub will connect to the receiver via that cable you linked to above with a single RCA connector on each end.

And not sure what you mean by "detentions."

Users who are viewing this thread