Need a sub that has a highpass filter built in?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Dave A., Jun 8, 2003.

1. Dave A.

Dave A. Extra

I have no sub output on my Pioneer VSX-9300 and i was told i need a powerd sub that has a high pass filter..with speaker inputs so i can run the speakers in to it then out the back of it inot the AMp unit...thus giving me the lows i need with out having to buy a whole new setup.

Any reccomendations on this type of sub..or aanother way to do this with my existing non powerd sub?

Also canb someone reccomend a good set of speakers i need 4 for the front and 2 the rear.

Aslo sorry for my total lack of understanding of this type of setup...i am totally new to owning any kind of real HT setup so please forgive me[​IMG]

Thanks!

Dave A.

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Any sub that has speaker level inputs (and outputs) has a high pass filter built in. The low passed signal is kept within the sub. The high passed signal is sent out the speaker level jacks to your speakers.

Usually there is a crossover adjustment knob to adjust what the high/low pass freq is.

3. Dave A.

Dave A. Extra

Wow thanks man , i would have never figured that out...lol
    Ok so waht would i be looking at price wise ...i mean i do not want to spend a bundle on one sub ....but at the same time i do not want crap[​IMG]

4. GeoffM

GeoffM Agent

if you're handy you might want to consider a DIY ... check out the DIY section on the forum

5. Dave A.

Dave A. Extra

Geoff i am pretty handy, i looked there but i have no idea where to start...like what driver/amp to use and dimensions and all that...is there a program i can dl that will tell me dimensions and all i need?

6. GeoffM

GeoffM Agent

Dave,

I would suggest lurking there for awhile. A lot of the answers to the questions you'll have can be answered by using the search function. At the top there is a link to the sonotube links ... TONS of info there. The first thing you have to decide is how much money you want to spend. Then how big a box can fit in the room (or pass the S.O.)And then the questions will pretty much snowball and run you over [​IMG]

-Geoff

7. GeoffM

GeoffM Agent

oh, check out http://www.adireaudio.com/ too. People have had great success with the Shiva and Tempest. Also they have some basic designs for you to look at too. But don't limit yourself to just those two, there are tons of drivers out there.

-Geoff

8. Dave A.

Dave A. Extra

Geoff,
    Thanks alot man your a great help.
    I have a SO but she is into this as much as i and also helped pay for my 900.00 upgrade to my PC[​IMG]
    I am looking to spend about 200.00 if possible but i do not know if this is a reasonable price??

I will check thoses areas out.

One other question can a Amp/tuner be repaired if one side of the peakers...left cuts out once in a while? Like there is a loose connection somewhere? I am not sure if it does it when it's just warm or what. I got it and it was fine(my brother gave it to ma and warned me of the speaker issue...got it home took the top off and hooked up some speakers...worked fine...then i went to put the top back on and it started cutting out..i would lightly tap the unit and it came back...then it stopped all together...lol Then came back. Is this a solder issue that i can do..or is this a bring it to be fixed thing cause otherwise it works fine[​IMG]

PLMK

Thanks again man!

9. GeoffM

GeoffM Agent

Sorry can't help you with the amp/tuner problem - I simply don't know enough.

200 for a sub can be done but I think you would be much happier if you could go to 300.

example:
    Shive - 125
    PE 250 amp - 130

That leaves 50 for the box/tube and misc. Not a lot left over but can be done. And you would end up with a very satisfying sub. Much better then you could get at CC or BB.

-Geoff

10. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Any high pass crossover done speaker level in a sub plate amp won't be up to much. Very simple and low quality 1st order high pass fixed at around 120hz. And depending on the impedance of you speaker in the crossover region the corner frequency could be much higher. The variable crossover dial only affects the low pass. If you can avoid using the speaker level high pass connection, do so. It will only hinder the performance of your setup.

You'd be better off running your speakers full range and setting the low pass on the sub quite low in an attempt to blend it into the natural roll off of your speakers than using the speaker level high pass on a sub plate amp IMO.