Need a sub for my DIY Project!!! Which one?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Curt Badry, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Curt Badry

Curt Badry Stunt Coordinator

I am shortly going to build myself a new Sub. Right now i have the Dayton 10" tiny mighty II. It is great for what it is but i need more bass. My listening area is 16x12x8 with openings to dining room and hallways. I have narrowed it down to three choices, and want some opinions.

1) dayton 15" titanic MKIII $198.66 US
    2) dayton 15" DVC $189.88 US List was $599.00 US
    3) Adire Tempest $150.00US.

Here's the thing, I am leaning toward the tempest because i live 5 minutes away from Creative sound solutions here in Canada. So no shipping or border fees. Also, box size is not a factor. I can build one as big as i need to get the best bass possible.

I have heard great things about these subs from various forums/people, but have not had an chance to hear them for myself. All i can assume is that built properly they would give me a vast improvement in the Bass department....
    Thanks for any opinions/suggestions.

2. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

I have not heard the Daytons but I have a EBS alignment Tempest and I love it. Very efficient (250W is plenty) and it goes very low.
    I bought the amp, ports and driver from CSS.

3. minhG

minhG Stunt Coordinator

Tempest is a great driver, after duties, shipping etc it would be the best deal and is no slouch compared to the other two.

4. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

I have had experianc with all 3 of those drivers and I can honeslty say that I liked the tempest the best. The tempest seemed much harder to bottom out and i believe this is because of the greater mechanical limits of the tempests suspension. If you can get the tempest for a cheaper price and more convienently then it would be a no brainer IMO, go with the tempest! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Curt Badry

Curt Badry Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys for your replys. The tempest is the way i'm gonna go. I did plan to power it with a 250W amp. I'm going to do alot of research as this is my first attempt at this. the woodworking is not a problem, i have no problem making a very nice enclosure, but making one that sounds good??? that's another thing!

I'll share some pics when i'm done.. Thanks again!!!

6. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

"i have no problem making a very nice enclosure, but making one that sounds good??? that's another thing!"

If you stick to the Adire plans you cant go wrong.

7. Mike Keith

Mike Keith Second Unit

I like the Maelstrom, more Sd and better for music ( so many claim), also more efficient then the Tempest.