Need a sub for $200 or less, am I missing any?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian E, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

The last thing I need to get for my current system expansion is a sub. These are the ones for under $200 that it's been suggested I look at. Am I missing any? Any opinions on which of these to look at? It's for a small area 12' x 14'. I need to narrow the list.

The ones suggested so far are,

Sony SA-WM20

Sony SA-WM40

JBL PB10

Acoustic Research S108PS

Acoustic Reseasch S112PS

Jensen JS-1000A

Polk PSW250

Thanks!

2. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

I hate doing this but add $50 and get the JBL PB-12, its better than these other subs. I have not heard the Plok though.

3. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

The Sony SA-WM40 is the best sub under two hundred dollars.

4. Wes C

Wes C Supporting Actor

5. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

The JBL D112 was $149 at onecall a while back(refurbed).

I'm guessing it would outgun any of the subs mentioned so far by quite a margin...but that's just a guess.

TV

6. TedO

TedO Stunt Coordinator

I would suggest going to Ebay and buy a little better sub for your money.

After you have the sub for a few weeks it won't matter weather you bought it new or used.

TedO

7. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Nothing inexpensive really "outguns" the Sony SA-wm40 by a "wide margin." Some subs undoubtedly *sound* better, but you will not find a sub south of $500 that puts out substantially more low frequency sound. It may not be a great sub, but it is a very powerful sub.

Cross the Sony SA-wm20 off your list, BTW. It is basically non-existant.

8. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

I would say that the Hsu VTF-2 would outgun the Sony by a wide margin, and it is under $500. The Adire Rava as well.

But, these are more than double the cost of the Sony. No doubt, the Sony is the one to get under $200.

9. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

10. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

Although it is placement sensitive and is better if stuffed a little more, the AudioSource 15 will give the Sony a good run for those honors.
    Go here :
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...120512-8197702
    Features:
    200 watts
    15-inch front-firing driver
    20 to 250 Hz frequency response
    Variable crossover frequency, 40 to 180 Hz
    Auto-on signal-sensing circuitry
    John Casler

11. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

I would hunt for the KSW series from Klipsch. Every now and then you can find one going around 200-250

12. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Richard, I haven't heard the Rava, but I have auditioned the Hsu at a friend's house and own the Sony. The Hsu is the better sub, no doubt. But it does not blow the Sony away in terms of low frequency output. It may put out a couple more db's at 20 hz, but I have tested both subs out and they are in the same general league in terms of raw output. That said, I will likely be upgrading to the Hsu in the near future.

Too bad Noussaine has not done measurements on the Sony.

13. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

WM-40 would do you well.No to the 20.It will be hard to test untill you get it home.I have had the 40 and for the money it does quit well.If you go that rout,try to get it for 140 to 175.You can daisy a seconed of it to if you ever wanted to.Good luck.

14. MarkS

MarkS Agent

Brian -

Take a look out on uBid.com under Consumer Electronics->Speakers->Subwoofers. There are some great deals out there if you are patient. Just take into account the shipping charges when placing a bid.

My neighbor picked up a Bic D1210 sub (12", 200 watts) for under $150 shipped. Some of the brands you are looking at are actually posted out there right now and are ready for bid.

Keep us all posted on what you finally end up with - we always like to hear real world feedback.

15. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

>>>Nothing inexpensive really "outguns" the Sony SA-wm40 by a "wide margin." Some subs undoubtedly *sound* better, but you will not find a sub south of $500 that puts out substantially more low frequency sound.

16. Robert V

Robert V Stunt Coordinator

second the audiosource subwoofer fifteen. for $199 (plus shipping), best bang for the buck IMHO.

17. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Thanks! I'll be sure and give ubid a look. The Audio Source 15" looks nice, however it appears Amazon is out of stock. Anyone know of another source that has it for this price? I found it for $330, but don't want it for that much.
    I went to Best Buy to pick up the 2nd Moulin Rouge OST today and swung by to look at the Sony SA-WM40. From what I can tell/know (which is nothing really) it seems ok to me. The sales drone who was working that area thought I should just get one of the $100 KLH sub they carry, because "it's really more sub than anyone needs".
    Now all I need to do is win an SVS sub in the contest and then I won't have to worry about which sub to get. [​IMG]

18. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

See if J&R or some other dealer who "price matches" carries the AudioSource 15".

JAC

19. Ron_L

Ron_L Second Unit

i own a Polk Sub. Very good unit. 8" driver with a 90 watt amp. Plays down to 35Hz. Shakes the house [​IMG]

20. Will Pomeroy

Will Pomeroy Stunt Coordinator

Build your own!