What's new

Need a sub for $200 or less, am I missing any? (1 Viewer)

Brian E

Screenwriter
The last thing I need to get for my current system expansion is a sub. These are the ones for under $200 that it's been suggested I look at. Am I missing any? Any opinions on which of these to look at? It's for a small area 12' x 14'. I need to narrow the list.

The ones suggested so far are,

Sony SA-WM20

Sony SA-WM40

JBL PB10

Acoustic Research S108PS

Acoustic Reseasch S112PS

Jensen JS-1000A

Polk PSW250

Thanks!

Greg Br

Second Unit
I hate doing this but add $50 and get the JBL PB-12, its better than these other subs. I have not heard the Plok though.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
The JBL D112 was $149 at onecall a while back(refurbed).

I'm guessing it would outgun any of the subs mentioned so far by quite a margin...but that's just a guess.

TV

TedO

Stunt Coordinator
I would suggest going to Ebay and buy a little better sub for your money.

After you have the sub for a few weeks it won't matter weather you bought it new or used.

TedO

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Nothing inexpensive really "outguns" the Sony SA-wm40 by a "wide margin." Some subs undoubtedly *sound* better, but you will not find a sub south of $500 that puts out substantially more low frequency sound. It may not be a great sub, but it is a very powerful sub.

Cross the Sony SA-wm20 off your list, BTW. It is basically non-existant.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
I would say that the Hsu VTF-2 would outgun the Sony by a wide margin, and it is under $500. The Adire Rava as well.

But, these are more than double the cost of the Sony. No doubt, the Sony is the one to get under $200.

Brian E

Screenwriter
No doubt, the Sony is the one to get under $200.
That's what I was thinking although many have told me the JBL is better. Guess I'll go listen to them both. Now the question is what exactly should I be listening/looking for?

KyleGS

Second Unit
I would hunt for the KSW series from Klipsch. Every now and then you can find one going around 200-250

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Richard, I haven't heard the Rava, but I have auditioned the Hsu at a friend's house and own the Sony. The Hsu is the better sub, no doubt. But it does not blow the Sony away in terms of low frequency output. It may put out a couple more db's at 20 hz, but I have tested both subs out and they are in the same general league in terms of raw output. That said, I will likely be upgrading to the Hsu in the near future.

Too bad Noussaine has not done measurements on the Sony.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
WM-40 would do you well.No to the 20.It will be hard to test untill you get it home.I have had the 40 and for the money it does quit well.If you go that rout,try to get it for 140 to 175.You can daisy a seconed of it to if you ever wanted to.Good luck.

MarkS

Agent
Brian -

Take a look out on uBid.com under Consumer Electronics->Speakers->Subwoofers. There are some great deals out there if you are patient. Just take into account the shipping charges when placing a bid.

My neighbor picked up a Bic D1210 sub (12", 200 watts) for under $150 shipped. Some of the brands you are looking at are actually posted out there right now and are ready for bid.

Keep us all posted on what you finally end up with - we always like to hear real world feedback.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>Nothing inexpensive really "outguns" the Sony SA-wm40 by a "wide margin." Some subs undoubtedly *sound* better, but you will not find a sub south of $500 that puts out substantially more low frequency sound.

Robert V

Stunt Coordinator
second the audiosource subwoofer fifteen. for $199 (plus shipping), best bang for the buck IMHO.

Brian E

Screenwriter
Thanks! I'll be sure and give ubid a look. The Audio Source 15" looks nice, however it appears Amazon is out of stock. Anyone know of another source that has it for this price? I found it for $330, but don't want it for that much.
I went to Best Buy to pick up the 2nd Moulin Rouge OST today and swung by to look at the Sony SA-WM40. From what I can tell/know (which is nothing really) it seems ok to me. The sales drone who was working that area thought I should just get one of the $100 KLH sub they carry, because "it's really more sub than anyone needs".
Now all I need to do is win an SVS sub in the contest and then I won't have to worry about which sub to get. :)

Ron_L

Second Unit
i own a Polk Sub. Very good unit. 8" driver with a 90 watt amp. Plays down to 35Hz. Shakes the house ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks