What's new

Need a starting point for building a sub with a temptest driver (1 Viewer)

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
I have a question about building a sub. I would like to start one in a month or so. I currently have one SVS and a Samson s1000 amp. I want to add another sub but my wife is freaking out about it. She does not want to look at another sub in the room for some reason. I figure I could build a sub in a box with a tempest driver in it. This type of sub would be low to the ground and would not be as noticeable in the room. I would use the Samson to power it. Are there some really good designs that I could copy out there somewhere and how would they compare to the SVS 20-39+ that I should have any day now. I would want something with a really good output to compliment the SVS. How would this compare to a sonotube? Thanks for your suggestions!!!

A

Anthony_Gomez

The sonotube is just an enclosure that has some cool construction aspects, but no real sound influence. compaired to a well made "box"

As for output,the tempest can put out some serious spl, but will take a substantially larget box/tube then you currently have. If I had the tempest (well..the mainly the space), I would go for 340L tuned to 16hz.

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
Thanks Anthony but where do I get the information on how to do this. I need to know what size will equate with that volume. Also I have seen some subs that are ported and some that are not. Also some have bracing inside. Is that for sound or to firm up the enclosure?

A

Anthony_Gomez

The bracing is to stiffenup the enclosure. Wall flex is not a good thing with subs. Go with a sonosub for simplicity. All you need is a router, jasperjig (or equivalent circle guide) and a saw to cut the sonotube (which the supplier may evey do for you!)
First download Unibox to model responces/spl/excursion
...Then get this cool SonoSub design program
...then go to
Patrick Sun's webpage with FULL(!!!) construction details of his sono sub. It is a 10ft^3 tempest sonosub.
Good luck

Scott Page

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,
Go to the Adire website (sellers of the Tempest). There you will find downloadable PDF files of designs for the Tempest. Has complete drawings for sub box designs. You can downloaded designs for sealed (smaller, less output for a given wattage) or for vented designs (largest and most output for a given wattage), as well as other designs that may be a bit too complicated/expensive for your first DIY sub.
If you have 100 to 500 watts you might consider a vented design. If you have 500 to 1000 watts then maybe a sealed design is the way to go.
You may want to sell the SVS after building your tempest as two subs of different design/specs will cause EQ problems. You should know that most experts recommend that ALL subs be placed TOGETHER in the same corner. I have a 12 cubic foot Tempest sonotube which will be joined by a second twin. The corner will be pretty full of large imposing subs. Of course you don't see them with the lights off. Fortunatly my wife is accepting of having two black, round refrigerators in the corner. :)
IMHO, if you build a 340L (12 ft3) vented Tempest sub tuned to 16 hz and put 500+ watts to it, it will output the equivalent of two SVS subs and provide quite a bit lower extension. But it's big (6 feet tall, 24" wide) with a low wife approval factor (WAF). You could also get some really big diameter sonotube and build a short one, end table or coffee table size, if that is an option. A box design could also be built this way. That should get a better WAF.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Brian, Sell your SVS and build a Tempest Sonosub. This way your wife still only has to look at 1 sub and you get bigger better bass(from what everyone says around here, 1 tempest is equal to 2 SVS's). Sure it will be bigger, but it will still be only 1. Or, you can go even bigger and go with dual shiva or dual tempest in a sonotube, use both channels of your samson and rock the place.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Isn't it one Tempest will equal two normal SVS CS series subs. He is getting the CS+. Which is supposed to be 90% of an Ultra, and an Ultra is supposed to be the equivalent of a pair of 20-39CS subs.

The Tempest should still best the 20-39CS plus on output by a little bit, with that little bit growing as you get down to and below 20hz (assuming a large low tuned enclosure for the Tempest).

Scott Page

Stunt Coordinator
Dustin,
You are likely correct. His best option, cost wise, is likely buying a second identical SVS. However, that doesn't sound like the wife would approve. The best WAF would likely be to sell the SVS and build a single dual sealed Tempest sub in a wooden box. That would keep the size down. To get good extension, he should go with the largest design (EBS), then throw lots of power at it to get the high output he wants. Say about 750 watts per Tempest.
Anyway, Dan at Adire could give him the best advice if he emails him with his wifely requirements and his manly requirements :).

Dennis_H

Stunt Coordinator
What about going the bottom firing isobaric route to keep the box size down? Helps put the WAF way up too...

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
I really appreciate the replies. I have a CS+ on order. It is very tempting to built one instead but I was happy with the last SVS. The SVS CS+ should have almost twice as much output. The wife has given me the green light. It is hard to give it up and have to wait to build one. Hmmmmmm........... Any of you ever compare the two? What would the cost be of building one roughly? See I can get an extra SVS CS+ for only $250 more because I would qualify for the 20% off deal. My wife just freaked out when I mentioned spending more money. I thought heck that is a deal but............ She is pregnant............ :)

Scott Page

Stunt Coordinator
You made the right choice. It would have cost you more than $250 to build one. With the two you will have you should get more output than one Tempest.

Congrats on the babe!

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
Well....... I really did not make the right choice yet. My wife thinks it is a done deal that I am not getting the extra SVS. She went psycho on me! I guess I will have to stay with one for now even if it costs me more in the future.

Greg P

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,
A better alternative I believe would be the blueprint drivers (Link Removed) The 1503 in a ported sonotube would put you at at least the output of 2 ultras. The size of the tube would be that of about one SVS because the drivers have a very low Vas. With a QSC amp(about 1000 watts) and a bheringer feedback destroyer you could do it for a little under $700.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks