Need a ' starter system' to get me going

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Larry*S, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Larry*S

Larry*S Agent

For the past 3 months or so, Ive been working on constructing my HT. Now that Im approaching completion, I need to concentrate on the sound system, which I am having a very difficult time doing.

As far as the projector goes, Im pretty much set on a Z2 projector.

But for the sound, I have no clue. Since it will be my first set up, I want to get something good, and something I can expand from. I know after time, I will beadding and taking away to get the Ideal system for the Theater I have built, But I think it will be impossible to get the right system off the bat, due to expense, and just having the system in the room, set up, and watching many movies. When I go to stores to hear different set ups, because the rooms arent set up like mine (diff dimensions...) Even if it sounds good at the store, It may not sound the same in my HT. So basically, Like I said before, I want a simple system, that is respectable and expandable, knowing it will have potential after a few years of adding and replacing.

Hear is what ive got to work with.

room size 9 by 18, image will be projected on the 9'wall.
    ceiling height is 7'
    walls and floor have carpet
    looking for 5.1 system
    room is strictly for HT, little if any music.
    budget for speakers, sub and receiver around $1200

Again, I know this will be a beginner set up, and thats all I want for now. I will expand and replace in future, as I develope more of an ear for what I want.

Ive been told in past to get reciver and 2 fronts, than build in time, but Id preffer getting a complete 5.1 system because My seating and everything else will depend on speaker placement, and I want to get a good Idea on how it will sound with surround, and best place to place seating as a result of speaker placement.

Any suggestions on a complete set up are appreciated.
    Also, If any dependable websites to purchase such systems would be appreciated.

thanks,

larry

2. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Well you've got to add a DVD player and interconnects into the mix. Very hard to do for $1200 and still get a decent system. You could probably do it for $1800, though.

3. Larry*S

Larry*S Agent

the $1200 i plan on spending includes speakers, sub & reciever. DVD, cables... will be a totally separate budget. Im jsut interested in getting something of the bat to get started with, and then expand As it need be.
    I need to be pointed in a direction. Its very hard, as a beginner, to go into a store and be bombarded by hundreds of options. Even after listening to many, it still is confusing. There are so many diff. variables within the store, let alone, when I get home and hear what it sounds like with my own dimensions....I just need to bite the bullet, get something, then go from there. But I want to atleast start off with something decent, or decent enough anyway, knowing I will expand down the road, as I see it fit.

larry

4. Eric C D

Eric C D Second Unit

My suggestion is to look at things like Ascend Acoustics, AV123 (their ELTs); if you want to see at a store, maybe Polk, Klipsch, ...

good luck,

Eric

5. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Maybe this system:

Polk RTi38 $250
    Polk CSi30 $150
    Polk FXi30 $250
    SVS 25-31PCi $550
    JVC RX-7030VBK $250

Total: $1450

A bit over budget but a hella nice starter system. All on sale at Crutchfield except the SVS (factory direct only). Maybe Crutchfield will give you some kind of package discount, can't hurt to ask.

6. Larry*S

Larry*S Agent

thanks, this is just the type of start im looking for.
    Any other suggestions welcome.

thanks again,

larry

7. John S

John S Producer

Being bombarded in the store, or bombarded here with suggestions is probably not going to be of much help either.
    I'd suggest at leats 6.1 right off the bat as these days there is very little reason to only do 5.1.....

In a budget system think about the following:

Receiever: 6.1, with good 6.1 processing to take advantage of the extra amps and speakers, Component Video switching of at leats 50mhz or high with HDTV come'n on strong.

DVD Player - May as well get one with DCDi, it is equisite technology just recently made somewhat affordable.

Subwoofer - The meaner the better, larger drivers seem much better to me for HT use.

Speakers - Small sats work well for HT, but leave a lot to be desired at least by me on music duty.

With all that said, $1200 should be able to give you a fairly complete system you can be happy with for at least a while.

I would start off with a CHT-15 Velodyne Sub, Maybe an Onkyo SR601, then spend the rest on speakers. Like maybe 3 pair of JBL S26II's or something like that.

Such a system would be quite respectable on both Music and HT and get you under budget. Might even be able to squeeze in a DCDi DVD player too.

8. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I second Eric’s recommendation of the two internet companies. AV123 has an almost perfect package for you: their ELT system, which they will package with a Denon 1804 for $1,250.

I’ve heard this system driving by that receiver and it is a very good value indeed.

9. Alex_P

Alex_P Stunt Coordinator

Larry,

If you are just wanna get something start it, I would go to any local audio store and get myself some decent speakers like paradigm or something... Ask and make sure you can return them if you don't like. Do the same w/ Reviever and dvd players. Set it up at home and see if you like them... To get your system going, you need Reciever, 2 fronts, dvd player. I think you could do that within your budget. Return the rest... Then later when you have more money you can go get ur dream sub, center and the surrounds. Just a thought... Happy hunting...

Alex,

P.S. Make sure your center and fronts matched, if you decide to upgrade the center later.

10. Leigh_M

Leigh_M Stunt Coordinator

I think there are a lot of decent option in that price range. I got the following from Tweeter for about $1300.

Boston Acoustics
    CR95 fronts
    CRC Center
    CR55 Rear
    PV500 Sub
    Yamaha RX-V630

I love the sound! I've also listened to and like Energy. I've seen the follow prices new and used.

CC1 Center $200 Used
    C1 Fronts $175 Used
    Take 5 rears $100 New
    Yamaha RX-V630 $225 New

This will leave enough for the SVS Sub mentioned above!

I think you would be happy with either of these options.