Need a specific hard drive - or suggested sources

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mike Voigt, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

I am in a dilemma. A few weeks back, my Maxtor DiamondMax 9 120GB drive gave out - of course with a ton of not-backed-up data on it.

I've been trying to find a replacement driver controller board. What I am looking for specifically is a 6Y120P0040611, which is code below the bottom-most bar code.

So far, no luck... Thre are two drives on ebay, btu they don't list the code; I've sent emails to the respective sellers.

Any suggestions - or does someone happen to have this drive for sale?

Thanks,

Mike

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

You sure it's the drive board or are you just trying options? There's the freezer trick (Google it) + OnTrack's recovery software which allowed me to back up my failed 120gb Maxtor.

I know how horrible it feels to lose all that data, but FWIW Seagate offers 5 year warranties on all drives they sell if you are looking for new HDs.

edit- should mention that the For Sale section on Anandtech, [H]ard Forums, and Arstechnica forums may have what you're looking for.

3. MikeSelis

MikeSelis Auditioning

Why do you need that exact drive? Might a similar drive have a board similar enough to work? Only the mfr. and a few people who work in data recovery might know...

Finding 120GB drives should be easy, but finding an exact model might be hard. There are numerous data recovery software packages out there, but I do not have experience with any to provide a recommendation.

4. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

What he's doing is replacing the controller board in hopes that the new board will be able to spin the platters up so that he can recover his data.

I would definitely try scotts suggestion, the freezer trick is the most commonly used method by our support techs for retrieving data from failed hard drives.