Need a soundcard suggestion

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Knapp, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Tim Knapp

Tim Knapp Agent

I've got everything but my sound card figured out. Here is what I'm going with for an htpc. Does anyone see a flaw in this setup.

Asus p4g8x and 2.8 ghz cpu/
    1 gig ddr ram
    Saphire Radeon 9700
    Pioneer 106s dvd rom
    Theatertek software

From the sound card I just want to feed two RCA analog inputs two my surround receiver. What basic soundcard will work with Theatertek? Will a creative soundcard suffice? Since I'm going analog i figured i don't need an expensive soundcard. I need a suggestion though.

Tim

2. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

I would lean towards a revolution 7.1, I've been hearing nothing but good things about them especially in the HTPC arena.

3. Tim Knapp

Tim Knapp Agent

Thanks Rob. I'll start checking into it.
    Tim

4. Tim Knapp

Tim Knapp Agent

hmm, i did a search on this forum and found nothing on the revolution 7.1. Could you point me to some user posts on it?

Thanks,
    Tim

5. Tim Knapp

Tim Knapp Agent

Found some information on the the M-audio revolution. In so doing i found out that it would not make any difference with Theatertek 1.5 because TT does no audio decoding for DD, just SPDIF pass through. So I would not get any dolby out of the Rev.7.1. That sucks. Can't believe TT doesn't offer this. Not everyone has SPDIF inputs on thier surround amp/recievers. Another thing i don't get after looking at the rev. 7.1 card is the 4 surround outputs. I only have 2 rca inputs on my surround receiver. My stereo i assume does the decoding, so what ouput do i use from the card?! Do I even need any dolby decoding software since my surround receiver does the decoding? Would i just pass the signal from the dvd-rom, through the sound card, and have my surround receiver do the decoding? Me confused. [​IMG]

Tim

6. JeffDurbin

JeffDurbin Auditioning

If you are playing DVDs on your PC you need to send six channels of audio information to the receiver.

I just ordered the CL Extigy because it is USB based and PCI slots are at a premium on my ATC610 case. It was $77 after rebate from Amazon.com. The rebate ended a couple days ago.

The other excellent one is the Audigy 2 Platinum but that is $200 which is overkill.

You might want to check newegg.com. I think their price on the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz was $62 or so. That is a very good card but I think it doesn't have the RCA jacks.

I really think you will have to go with something like the Extigy.

7. Tim Knapp

Tim Knapp Agent

Jeff,Are you telling me that those 2 cards you mentioned will do the dolby decoding via thier hardware?- Or, will I still require a software decoder? Will I get dolby if I run TT with one of the cards you mentioned? What are a couple of good software players that will decode dolby for my reciever? I've heard some negatives on the audigy series.

Tim

8. Brian Knauss

Brian Knauss Stunt Coordinator

Another option is Hercules XP 7.1 Gametheater. I believe it has the hardware decoder for DD EX.

9. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

The Audigy 2 is capable of digital surround decoding. It is recommended by Unreal II: The Awakening for dolby digital 6.1 surround sound.

In comparison, the M-Audio card mentioned is more highly regarded particularly for home theatre and music production (i.e. if you're a musician).

Sorry I don't know the answers to your other specific questions vis-a-vis analog connections.

10. Tim Knapp

Tim Knapp Agent

My surround receiver has dolby prologic mode. Pardon my ignorance, but doesn't this mean it does the decoding? The manual says,

"When playing an audio source carrying the "Dolby surround" mark, a sound field with enhanced surround effects can be enjoyed by using the DOLBY PRO LOGIC OR DOLBY Stereo MODE on your receiver."

If this means it decodes, then do i just pass the audio from the dvd-rom straight through the sound card and the surround receiver does the decoding?I assume it does because i send the two rca outputs of my set top dvd-player to the two rca input's of my surround receiver and it seperates it into the five speakers i have hooked to it.If this is so, then do i even need any audio decoding software? My surround reciever has 2 rca inputs on the reciever for the signal going in and it has speaker outs for two front, a center, and two rears. Could someone knowledgeable clear this up for me please.

11. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

If you're just looking to pass a Pro Logic signal, then any stereo soundcard will work. Even without a set of RCA outputs on the card (which is difficult to find cheaply), you can use the 1/8" stereo output and get a stereo mini - RCA cable for about $3.
    Pro Logic is encoded with a simple stereo signal, so as long as the card is stereo (and I don't know of any that aren't) it will pass along the Dolby signal if it is present.
    You'll just let your receiver take care of the decoding.

12. Tim Knapp

Tim Knapp Agent

Thanks Mike. TT finaly cleared this up for me too. So even my old soundblaster PCI-128 would work in this case it sound like. It has stereo output. I don't need to spend any money on a fancy card then. That will save me some money. [​IMG]

13. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

You might find some of the sound card reviews at TomsHardware to be pretty informative. Don't know about your questions re: Theatertek, but check it out.

14. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

I don't mean to jack this thread but I have a question regarding sound cards. I have a 7.1 capable Harman Kardon AVR525. When building my HTPC does that mean I have to have a 7.1 sound card in order to make it work?

15. Brian Knauss

Brian Knauss Stunt Coordinator

Nope, just means you have the capability of having a 7.1 signal sent to the receiver via the 7.1 inputs and your receiver will output too all 7.1 speakers. If you just have a 5.1 card and 5.1 movies, no worry, you'll either have sound coming out of only the 5.1 speakers, or you probably have a "matrix" option where the other speakers will play also. Matrix is basically a fancy name for Pro Logic to the extra speakers.

16. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

Isn't that what you would want if you had a 7.1 capable receiver?