Need a solution for a subwoofer w/ no power switch

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Lando, Dec 26, 2001.

1. Matt Lando

Matt Lando Agent

I have a subwoofer that I must unplug to turn off - The JBL PB-10. At first I was wishing that it had a switch, but then I realized that still would be pain because I must still walk over to it and switch it on when I want to use it. I've been wondering what solutions there may be to get the sub to go on when I turn my receiver on. I have a Yamaha HTR-5490 receiver. I've been told that I should not use the switched outlet on back of the receiver with the sub because the sub draws too much power. That makes sense to me but I'm still looking for another solution. I remember reading somewhere that someone was using a Panamax Powermax 1000+ to solve this problem. Information on Panamax's website seems pretty brief about their products. From what I can tell, they sell power line conditioners that have switched outlets. My question is, is there someway I can trigger the switched outlet to go on when I turn on my receiver? I know that the RXV series of the Yamaha receivers had some kind of "12 volt trigger" that my HTR series lacks. Could I have done this with the RXV model? Is there any way I can do this with my setup?

Sorry for all the rambling, I just know that there must be some good way of doing this and I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thanks.

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Just leave it plugged in and don't worry about it. If the sub is left plugged in and on, but never sent an audio signal to produce, I doubt the power it would draw would even total $10 over the course of a year.

3. Dave Nibeck

Dave Nibeck Stunt Coordinator

Try x10. You would need an appliance module which has a noticable click when the relay kicks over. You might be able to control through your remote depending on model. 2 of the more popular sites are www.x10.com and www.smarthome.com

4. Matt Lando

Matt Lando Agent

Dustin, thanks for your input but I really don't want to leave it on which is why I'm asking about alternatives.

Dave, X10 sounds interesting and I will look into that, but I'm still wondering if it's possible to accomplish this with a power llne conditioner. I read that some models like the Adcom's can use the receiver's switched AC outlet for a trigger if it lacks the 12 volt trigger. However, what I read was talking about amplifiers. But I'm still confused about the whole issue. Any ideas regarding power line conditioners?

5. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

Another option: if your receiver has an outlet in the back, plug the subwoofer into it. That way, the subwoofer will go off as soon as you turn off the receiver.

6. Shawn O

Shawn O Stunt Coordinator

I own a panamax 1000+ and 1500.Both will do exactly what you want.
    Please,DON'T PLUG your sub into your receiver!

7. John H

John H Second Unit

8. Matt Lando

Matt Lando Agent

Shawn,

I can't seem to find the 1000+ on Panamax's website. Any idea if it's been replaced by the 4300? Their website is very confusing and offers little description of their products.

Can you provide me with more details as to how I would hook up such a product with my system via the AC switched outlet? Thanks.

9. John S Smith

John S Smith Agent

Matt
    While being new to HT I recognize what you are trying to accomplish as a 3 wire holding circuit, whereby a control circuit (in this case provided by convenience outlet on receiver), when energized, allows a seperate power source to feed your Sub.
    Let me know what your max amperage draw (peak wattage will do)and I could look up the components from a Grainger Catalog.
    I suspect we're re inventing the wheel here though, (plus it would look like shit).
    [​IMG]
    Q Does your receiver manual say anything on max load that can be supplied.
    ..john

10. Matt Lando

Matt Lando Agent

Thanks John, but I'd rather buy something to do this than build it. I dug deeper into Panamax's website. Unfortunately they don't have the literature up about the 4300, but I was able to pull up the literature for the higher model - the 5100. I believe the 4300 has the same feature. Here's what I found:

VOLTAGE SENSE TRIGGER

This feature provides an ON/OFF trigger for the MAX 5100 using a 12VDC remote control signal. Many components such as pre-amplifiers and receivers have a 12VDC trigger built in, and will transmit a constant power signal when turned on and in use. This power signal will initiate the startup or shutdown sequence of the MAX 5100's switched outlets. [BAn AC Adapter of the appropriate voltage, plugged into a switched outlet, may also be used if a 12V trigger is not built in.[/b] The MAX 5100 voltage sense trigger input uses a standard 1/8" mini-plug jack. This jack has an electrically isolated switch built in. If a plug is inserted into the input jack, the voltage sense becomes the startup/shutdown trigger.

Well, what do you guys think? Isn't this exactly what I need? If so, where do I get the AC adapter they are referring to?

11. John H

John H Second Unit

The 5100 replaces the 1000.
    You would trigger the power center with the swithed AC outlet on your receiver. If the power center does not have an AC trigger input and only a 12v DC trigger input you would use a 12v transformer plugged into your receivers switched AC outlet.
    You would then use a switched outlet on the power center to control your subwoofers AC power.
    John

12. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I wired an AC wall plug to a light switch. My TV,CD,Receiver (and LD and DVD) and Subwoofer (thats 4 plugs) are all controlled by light switches. It works for me. I believe an X10 might not have the juice to allow you to do that. Maybe for a component, but not for my 400 wat RMS, 1600 watt peak subwoofer!
    Oh, and please get an electrician to do it if you aren't experienced. But turn off the power! It sounds silly, but mistakes happen! No that didn't happen to me [​IMG] Thank goodness.

13. Chris Eriksen

Chris Eriksen Stunt Coordinator

Here is another good option, and it's really cheap. [​IMG] Sears item number '00924031000'. You can find it online at www.sears.com or in your local Sears, where it is located with the stationary power tool accessories. It is essentially a current-controlled relay. Plug your receiver into the 'power tool' outlet, and your sub into one of the 'accesory' outlets. Sears markets it as a way to automatically turn on your vaccuum with your table saw, but it also works very well for turning on your sub with your receiver. I have used it in this capacity many times. And the best part - it's only $20. [​IMG]

14. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Wow. Thats a cool idea. Hmmm. The difference with me is I don't always have the subwoofer on. Sometimes I listen to music without my subwoofer. If I want it on, I just reach back to the wall and flick the switch. But hey, for $20, thats a really cool idea [​IMG] Cheaper than the wiring I had to do!

15. John H

John H Second Unit

16. Matt Lando

Matt Lando Agent

Chris,

Regarding that Sears item:

are you saying that if I plug my receiver into the power tool outlet and my subwoofer into the accessory outlet, that when I turn on my Receiver (with my remote for example), this device will sense the current flow and automatically turn on the sub? I don't need to physically throw the switch on the Sears device? If so, that's awesome for $20! But please correct me if I got this wrong.

17. Chris Eriksen

Chris Eriksen Stunt Coordinator

Matt,
    You are exactly correct! [​IMG]

18. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Just to clarify, I wasn't talking about the auto on/off some subs or plate amps have. The AVA250 I used with my DIY Tempest has three positions. On/Auto/Off. I wanted to use auto, but I didn't kick on for DSS, only CD and DVD when the volume was up a bit. After some emails with the place I bought it from I was informed about the draw it had when put in the on position, but with no signal applied. The email reply was to a thread at HTT that isn't there any more so I can't remember the exact number. But after figuring it out with the power rate in Saskatchewan, it amount to ~$7 CDN to leave it on 24/7 for a year. So I leave it in the on position except when I leave the city.