Need a small center (6” max height) to match Paradigm Reference Studio 60 v.2’s.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by John Pine, Feb 6, 2006.

1. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    Got a friend who is looking for a black Paradigm center that will come close to matching. The true match, the Reference Studio Center CC v.2 is too large. We understand the timbre match won’t be exact, but that’s ok. Any suggestions?

2. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    If the Studio CC is too large, will the CC-370 work? How about the CC-170? I think that if your going to opt for a non timbre matching center channel that it would be in your best interest to atleast try and stay with the same speaker manufacturer. In my experience with paradigm speakers (and others), they all have the same "tonal characteristics". I'm not saying that they all sound the same by any means, however they do sound similiar minus the differences in imaging, clarity, and frequency response as you move up the model line. In my opinion this would be your best option before going to another speaker brand. Good luck and remember that if you go with the 370 or 170, you will have to properly calibrate the center channel into your system for best results. Good luck, hope this helps your friend decide.

Greg

3. John Pine

John Pine
    greggor: Thanks for the feedback! I wish the 170 would work for him, but it's 6 3/4" in height. With his height restriction (6"), a Paradigm my not be possible.

4. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

You can also consider going without a center channel. You'd be surprised how well this will work with quality speakers like the Studio 60s. If the receiver will allow it, turn off the center channel in the setup menu and see what you get. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised as long as the speakers are set up correctly.

I wouldn't use a speaker that won't match the mains fairly closely.

5. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Exactly, I agree....don't drag down the quality of your overall sound just to make a center speaker fit the specs you need. Run it in phantom mode and keep those Studios the star of the show!

6. John Pine

John Pine
    mackie & AlanZ: Good feedback guys! Especially since the 60's are powered by his Parasound 1500A and the center will only get an Onkyo receiver channel.

7. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

John: That Parasound amp is a great match for the 'digms. I used to have Parasound matched to my studio/100s and 20s.....very good combo! Onkyo has a decent amp section in their receivers, but I think he'll be much happier in phantom. He's got awesome gear, might as well use it [​IMG]

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    That was going to be my next recommendation (AH). I prefer to have a center, but not if it is going to be far lesser quality than the mains. Another thought was going to be a 20 on it's side, but I just checked and it is also too tall.

9. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    I also agree with using the phantom center channel mode. With your equipment that would be a wise choice when compared to using a non timbre matching CC from another speaker manufacturer. Let us know how it works out.

Greg