1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Need a service tech for RP-91

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Michael_V, Feb 9, 2002.

1. Michael_V

Michael_V Second Unit

After nearly a year of flawless use, my beautiful champagne RP-91 suddenly died the other day. Instead of the traditional "WELCOME TO DVD WORLD" on start up, it either freezes on WELCOME or gives me an error code: F894. Either way, it will not respond to button presses and must be unplugged to reset.

One other person on Home Theater Spot reports the same problem occuring within a day of mine.

Now it needs to be serviced, but I really do not trust the garden variety authorized technician any more than I trust the garden variety mechanic, which is about as far I can throw them. So the question is:

Does anyone know a reputable panasonic service technician in the Virginia, Maryland, or DC areas that they can personally vouch for?

2. Michael_V

Michael_V Second Unit

No one?!

3. Drake

Drake Agent

What about searching Panasonic's web site for authorized service and repair facilities?

4. Michael_V

Michael_V Second Unit

Thanks, but that occurred to me already! [​IMG]
    I am just skeptical of unknown service shops, particularly when it comes to my HT gear. Most of the places I've called haven't even heard of the RP-91 and may, for all I know, spend 95% of their time repairing Panasonic sewing machines and clock radios. God forbid I subject my progressive scan player to their uninformed tinkering!
    It's like an injury in a professional athlete: they aren't going to go to the corner "Doc in a Box" for their ACL tear, are they? No, they're going to seek out an orthopedic surgeon specializing in sports medicine.
    So I ask you: aren't there any service techs specializing in HT? I will mail this thing anywhere in the country to have it fixed properly.

5. Drake

Drake Agent

[​IMG] Just didn't want to overlook the obvious! Here's another thought, what about contacting an ISF (Imaging Science Foundation) tech in your area, and seeing if they could recommend a reputable repair facility? http://www.imagingscience.com/ -- click on the "dealer search" for your state.
    Here's another option (I'm not sure why I didn't think about it before): contact Dean Wysocki at Discount Electronic Repair & Precision Home Theater in Avon, CT at [email protected] Dean repaired a Klipsch subwoofer for me and did some surround speaker installations for me a few months back. He's a home theater nut and runs a reputable repair business and HT installation business.
    He also has a web site if you're interested: http://www.stereo-repair.com/index.htm

6. Michael_V

Michael_V Second Unit

Thanks, Drake! Will check him out!

7. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    How about the guy on AVS Forum who has provided the firmware upgrade files for the RP91 that so many of us have subsequently downloaded and flashed the ROM with? I think he got the files in the first place because he's a service technician working on these units.

8. Tom Johnson

Tom Johnson Stunt Coordinator

Try 800-211-PANA (7262)

9. Michael_V

Michael_V Second Unit

Drake,
    Your boy, Dean Wysocki, referred me to this site www.unitedradio.com which looks great! My panny is being shipped there (double boxed) tomorrow. Will let you know how it turns out!
    Thanks,
    Mike

10. Drake

Drake Agent

That's great! I hope it works out. I can't imagine being without my DVD player for a few weeks...

11. Cory Pals

Cory Pals Stunt Coordinator

After tonight, I need to some help with this.....

My Panny RP-91 started doing the same thing on me tonight. Drake, can you or anyone share what the problem was and help me a way to fix this?

Cory

12. Drake

Drake Agent

Cory,

I didn't get the specifics from Michael V on what the final problem and resolution was. If you haven't already, try connecting with him, or maybe contact someone at the web site he refers to earlier in the post.

Sorry I couldn't help on this one.

13. Cory Pals

Drake,

I called Crutchfield last night and spoke with a service rep. After trying a few things over the phone that didn't work, they are just having me send it back in to fix. I really hope its fixable. Crutchfield is out of stock on the unit, and I have no idea what I'd replace it with.

CP

14. Drake

Drake Agent

Cory,

These DVD units are getting so inexpensive now,you may want to consider getting another model that has DVDA or SACD (or both) playback, if these features are important. If I recall the RP-91 doesn't have either. Otherwise, just get a new progressive scan player that kicks!

I'm partial to Pioneer Elite models. But I know some of them also suffer from the chroma bug. I'm not a geek videophile though, so it really doesn't bother me. And when you have a 5 year old that uses the player more than you do, it doesn't really matter.

I've had an Elite DV-37 for a couple years now and I love it. I was going to upgrade to the 47A, but DVDA and SACD aren't that important to me right now.

15. Michael_V

Michael_V Second Unit

Drake, replacing the RP-91 with anything anywhere near its quality is difficult at best, particularly in the sub-$500 price range. I switched to a Denon 3800 when mine finally died and thought I saw minimal improvement in picture quality (until that player went on the blink!) but that is a $1200 player!

Anyway, Cory, I ended up taking my Panny to a local Panasonic certified repair shop. For about $100, they replaced something . . . not sure what anymore . . . that was a couple years ago now . . . but that did the trick.

Would I do it again today in 2004? Probably not. It is a great player but dropping a hundred bucks to fix a four or five year old player? Not for me.

Like I said above, six months ago, my old RP91 started acting up again. Just wouldn't turn on for a couple weeks. Then it worked again. Then it wouldn't turn on again.

I gave it to my brother-in-law.

16. Drake

Drake Agent

Good point on the price range...I hear LINN has an incredible player at $15k. HAHAHAHAHA.[​IMG]

17. Cory Pals

Ok, here is an update.....

Crutchfield left a message for me today. They can't fix my Panny, but they will replace it. The only problem is that it has been discontinued and Crutchfield is out of new stock. They do have the unit available in outlet (open box) stock. Outlet stock items are from photo demos or exchanges, so the packaging is not factory sealed. I still receive all original documentation and accessories. It still comes with the full manufacturer's warranty, and our unconditional, thirty day, Total Satisfaction guarantee.

Now I paid new stock price for my unit. If I take the open stock unit, I should get a small refund for taking the outlet unit. However my question is, should I risk it? Or is there another model that anyone could recommend to me. I really got the RP-91 for the 4:3 scaling feature for my widescreen TV.

Corman