Need a ROOMMATE

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Holadem, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I have a 2 Bedroom 2 Bathroom apt and am considering a roommate for the first time. I have always dreaded the thougth, but paying only half of the rent is sounding more and more attractive. Is any one familiar enough with this to offer some advice?

Should my roommate be male, or female?
    Should it be someone I could be friend with or should we keep to ourselves?
    I have decided he/she would have to be a professional.

The person will have to be a total stranger, as the few friends I have here are not available.

Any guidelines?

--
    Holadem

2. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

most newspapers have a section for roomates wanted
    you need to decide what you can live with, I.E. smoking, nonsmoking, pets, no pets, what shift the roomate works
    other than that kind of stuff, I can not help you, never had a roomate
    you might also look where you work

3. Mark C Sherman

Mark C Sherman Second Unit

Unless you REALLY Know a person I would not recommend a friend. I own a Condo and in the past 4 years I have had 4 roommates(all friends). I have Kicked out all but one for the main reason that they were FREAKIN SLOBS. Choose wisely

Good luck

4. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Holadem, depending on the rent and where you live, I would consider living with you. I know you from the boards and am currently in between places. Shoot me a PM.

I am a professional (professional at what I haven't decided yet...kidding) and if we were to combine our two HT's we could rule the world.

5. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    Do not live with a friend.[​IMG]

If you have the luxury of ahem... interviewing several potential roomates then that should be a decent way of sizing up your co-habitation compatibility. You might also want to speak to anyone they have lived with before.

Set up the rules as early as possible such as when rent/bills are due (I assume you'll keep utilities in your name) and dividing the cleaning duties and grocery rules. This will avoid MANY problems. [​IMG]

6. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Holadem, if I knew more about you, I may be able to help more. Listen to Mark though, no friends! period.
    Since you are used to paying what you pay now, I would take your time in choosing someone. I have lived with many roommates and out of all of those, 2 were very nice. Why did those two work? Cleanliness, about the same work schedule, similar interests (like it our not, you will become close with a good roommate.) In the spirit of what Eric said, you should lay down some basic ground rules or you will be driven' crazy. As far as sex preference, if you have a significant other, this could come into play.
    I know the thought of 1/2 of your bills being paid sounds attractive, but I have lived with roommates and lived alone in various stages of life. No matter how good your roommate is going to be, it's doesn't compare to the serenity of living alone. It's worth the price.
    The roommate experience just mirrors romantic relationships too much. It would take a novel to explain what I mean by that. Let's just say added drama and stress could enter your life if you decide to go this route.

7. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

The greatest part of your deal is that you have two bathrooms.
    Privacy is the key.
    Correct, you should never live with a friend.
    Is there a roommate agency in your town?
    They are extremely helpful in finding a good match.

8. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

Listen to what Zen has to say -- have you lived with a lot of different people before? I chose to go without a roommate because I knew would knever be able to relax in my own home.

Todd

9. Christopher P

Christopher P Supporting Actor

After living alone for 4 years, I moved in to a place with my (gasp!) best friend, and really my only good friend in the area. We decided it would be best for both of us financially. It's only been a couple months, but it has been great. Before my 4 year alone stint, I did live with another good friend, and that was a disater. So it can work both ways, but living with a friend isn't necessarily a horrible idea. I'd almost prefer it to a total stranger, with my current roommate, I've had many chanecs to see how he lives, what hours he keeps, the company he keeps, etc....I don't know if I'd ever live wih someone without seeing their current place first, and how they maintained it. He's my best frien, but depsite that, we tend to do our own thin alot of the time, so that helps, we aern't in each others' hair all the time. Just want to say it CAN work, but it does take some effort and some luck. Good luck to you. Ask me if you have any questions about how we're making it work.

Chris

10. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Funny, but I have only good things about rooming with my friends and mostly bad to say about living with strangers. Sure, living w/ friends can try your friendship but at least you have an inkling of what to expect. I've had some strangers who seemed really normal turn into the biggest flakes. One guy, who seemed really professional (compared to my friends) punched his girlfriend and had the cops come to my house at 4 in the morning after chasing her down the street in his boxers. At least I know my friends don't do that. I would say the one negative thing about living with friends is to make sure they pay on time. That would be my number one complaint, they always take advantage of the friendship when it comes to extending the due date.

Since it looks like you are going with a stranger, I would really take your time and do a thorough interviewing process like others have suggested. Also, absolutely make sure you get a decent security deposit and make them sign a lease (even your friends), as I had one girl split in the middle of the night owing us a month's rent/bills. At least a friend wouldn't/shouldn't do that.

I lived on my own and with roommates and I will say that living alone is the greatest thing in the world, but I live with a roommate now because of the same reason you are considering it. It just gets pretty damn expensive. Good luck and take your time. Also, find out if they have a bf/gf and meet them too since most likely you will be seeing them quite a bit. We kicked one guy out because his gf lived there more than he did and she wasn't paying rent. She would eat our food, use our utilities (laundry, rent movies, etc..) and generally act like she ran the place. Be careful of significant others.

11. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I guess I'm lucky. I have lived in 9 different roommie situations in the last 13 years (college student and now work at the university I attended where the rent is so high you have to have a roommate/apartment mate unless you make the big bucks). I've lived w/ friends mostly 7 of the times, and only twice with people I didn't know. All situations turned out well, with the separation being because of graduation, or career change and they had to move away. I am still friends with all the people I lived with, even though most are now out of the city we still keep in touch.

Right now I live alone for 9 months (lease) but will soon move in with my girlfriend (who basically spends every non-work hour with me for the last four years, so nothing much will change) to cut down rent when our leases end. I guess the most important thing is to be open minded and relaxed about things. I'm not too uptight about most things, but I'm not one who lets just anything slide either. But I keep a good line of communication open and any things that come up are resolved pretty quickly and non-confrontationally.

Good luck in your search! BTW - I just realized that I would rather now live with friends because of my equipment. Moving in with a total stranger would make me feel uncomfortable with my DVDs and HT equipment. I can trust my friends.

12. Rain

Rain Producer

My 12th roommate has just moved into my one bedroom apartment. That's 12 in the last 13 years.

Some have been friends, some total strangers. Bad experiences have been minimal.

My only advice would be to talk to the person you are considering and make sure you discuss all the key issues beforehand.

The only way you can know for sure if you can live with someone or not is to try it and see.

13. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

I had over 20 roommates while in college. One was my best friend...and he screwed me so bad by skipping town with 6 months left on our lease, forcing me to either live with his alcoholic loser brother (all 3 of us were living there), or pay out my share of the remaining rent and move out, which I did to keep my good credit intact.

Another roomie was one of my best friends, who I considered the most dependable person I knew. Me and a couple of other guys stayed with him, paid him 1/4 rent, and he would write the check to the super. Well, he decided to keep November and December rent and then drop out of school without telling us. He moved without warning (he didn't even take his stuff...at least I got a couple of cool lamps and end tables), and we were evicted on Christmas Eve. Bummer.

Then I decided to go the apartment/roommate locator route. They promptly hooked me up with a peeping tom...and then a murderer.

I strongly suggest you just live by yourself. I would not want you to experience anything remotely close to my roommate hell.

14. Rain

Rain Producer

Robert, that is pretty terrible, but I think that you have encountered some very unusual circumstances.

By the way, another benefit of having a roommate is sometimes they have cool stuff. I'm posting this on my new roommate's computer. [​IMG][​IMG]

15. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

16. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Robert...yikes! You might want to rethink about judging who becomes a "best friend"! [​IMG] Seriously, I've had minimal experiences with friends really screwing me over. And when they have, they were more peripheral friends than what I would consider my closest friends. Those people I would trust with my life and have not let me down in the years/decades I have known them!

17. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

Robert Z, this has happened to me as well, so it didn't sound a bit unusual.
    One roomie bounced a 700 dollar check, toward the end of his stay,
    and another one used two of our rent checks for drug money.
    And these were not strangers.
    This all happened in NYC, where starving actors "disappear" pretty easily, and "move home' overnight.

18. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I lived with roommates for 5 years of college and vowed never to do it again. I like coming home to a quiet house. I like walking in the door and just tossing the mail on the floor. I like cleaning up on MY schedule.

19. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

I'm currently sharing a house with a friend of mine. I guess it's a slightly different situation since he and I (along with a couple of other frends) shared an apartment in college too. I lived by myself for around 10 months or so before he moved in, and I really like having him around. No fights, no money problems, no tension...just someone to watch movies and TV with every once in a while. We mostly stay in our respective rooms because we're both shut-ins [​IMG], which I'm sure helps too. It's a great situation, and I find it very much preferable to being by myself. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't look for another roommate when he eventually moves out, though, just because it seems unlikely that I'd find someone who matches up with me this well.

20. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

from college until just about four years ago i've had roomates. in all but one house they were my friends.

it was some of the best times i ever had. at one house, during peak occupancy (including so's) there was probably 12-14 people in that dang house! talk about good times!

of course, those were mostly college years, so you can guess. however, even in day-to-day living, it's much better to be with someone you know.

the only time i had a bad experience was when i lived with strangers.

since it sounds like you'll be with strangers, the only thing i can offer is to research the person thoroughly. don't be shy about asking them personal questions and don't be afraid or embarassed to tell them what you like. it's the little thing's that will kill ya in the end.

also, check out this link:

http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/.../roommate.html

good luck holadem! if i were around you, i'd totally dig roomin' with ya!