What's new

Need a recommendation on a DVD player (1 Viewer)

Jay_SH

Auditioning
Hi everyone, new to the forum here. I just got a new HDTV and it's awesome. I want some help in picking out a new DVD player to go with it. Here are the features I want:

1080i upconversion via component
Ability to play all regions
Ability to play PAL DVDs on an NTSC set.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Zenith DVB 318, Momitsu still does it via component and I think Oppo has a model. Do a search on the three names and get the feedback, hope it helps.

Ronn.W

Second Unit
The Oppo is a great player, but it only does upconversion over DVI. Via component it doesn't even do 480p!

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
The Zenith DVB 318 certainly does, but the you have to get the firmware and install it into a player that has a built date of March 2005 or later. The Firmware is available just by downloading and saving it on a CD and placing it into the player, then you can upscale via component.

Jay_SH

Auditioning
Ok thanks for the recs. I did a search on the DVB 318 and it seems like the right choice. I can't seem to find the firmware all region hack for Mac though as it was stated in the AVS forum to download. (I'm a Mac guy.) Can some Mac user out there send me the fabled disk image that's floating around. Ordering a DVB 318 in about 10 minutes.

Also, do I have to install the new firmware to get all copy protected DVDs to upscale? I was unclear about this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks