What's new

Need a recommendation for a 5.1 speaker set (Budget:: $300) (1 Viewer)

Andy_Pattynama

Auditioning
Hi there,
I'm all new to this forum so be kind with me ;) I want to get a 5.1 setup for my TV and DVD Player. It's a Panasonic RV-31 DVD Player and a Pansonic 16:9(100Hz) TV(don't recall the exact model name, about 1.5 years old). I think I'm set on the Marantz SR4300 receiver, cuz that's one which I read good reviews about and is available for a good price here in Switzerland. Now I need a 5.1 speaker setup which I can(in the near future ;)) hook up to that receiver and I'm looking here for some advice. The speakers need to be available in Europe, Switzerland to be exact. The Onkyo HTS-650 aren't available in Switzerland which is a pity. So could you guys maybe recommend me some good 5.1 speakers?

Thanks for your time.

Andy Pattynama

Victor Chan

Stunt Coordinator
Any chance you have access to the Acoustic Research HC-6 5.1 system? Here in the U.S., can be had for $299:

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=arhc6

A very well regarded speaker set at its original $800 retail and a steal for less than half its original price. Not going to be the best thing you will ever hear (let's be realistic now... its $300!), but looks and sounds far better than it has a right to at the price and, when I heard it, remarkably good at both music and HT reproduction, particularly in small to medium sized spaces.

Andy_Pattynama

Auditioning
Yes, it seems like I can get them in Germany. So you think a Marantz SR4300 and those Acoustic Research HC-6 speakers would blow the Logitech Z-680 away? Sorry, I'm really new to this stuff :)

What others speakers could you recommend?

Victor Chan

Stunt Coordinator
Andy,

I haven't had the opportunity to listen to the Logitech speakers, so for me to say one way or the other would be pure guess work on my part.

But I would be surprised if the Acoustic Research HC-6 didn't sound better since they are a dedicated music/HT speaker set vs. the Logitech which was designed primarily for home computer gaming use.