Need a recommendation for a 5.1 speaker set (Budget:: $300)

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Andy_Pattynama, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Andy_Pattynama

Andy_Pattynama Auditioning

Hi there,
    I'm all new to this forum so be kind with me [​IMG] I want to get a 5.1 setup for my TV and DVD Player. It's a Panasonic RV-31 DVD Player and a Pansonic 16:9(100Hz) TV(don't recall the exact model name, about 1.5 years old). I think I'm set on the Marantz SR4300 receiver, cuz that's one which I read good reviews about and is available for a good price here in Switzerland. Now I need a 5.1 speaker setup which I can(in the near future [​IMG]) hook up to that receiver and I'm looking here for some advice. The speakers need to be available in Europe, Switzerland to be exact. The Onkyo HTS-650 aren't available in Switzerland which is a pity. So could you guys maybe recommend me some good 5.1 speakers?

Thanks for your time.

Andy Pattynama

2. Victor Chan

Victor Chan Stunt Coordinator

Any chance you have access to the Acoustic Research HC-6 5.1 system? Here in the U.S., can be had for $299:

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=arhc6

A very well regarded speaker set at its original $800 retail and a steal for less than half its original price. Not going to be the best thing you will ever hear (let's be realistic now... its $300!), but looks and sounds far better than it has a right to at the price and, when I heard it, remarkably good at both music and HT reproduction, particularly in small to medium sized spaces.

3. Andy_Pattynama

Andy_Pattynama Auditioning

Yes, it seems like I can get them in Germany. So you think a Marantz SR4300 and those Acoustic Research HC-6 speakers would blow the Logitech Z-680 away? Sorry, I'm really new to this stuff [​IMG]

What others speakers could you recommend?

4. Victor Chan

Victor Chan Stunt Coordinator

Andy,

I haven't had the opportunity to listen to the Logitech speakers, so for me to say one way or the other would be pure guess work on my part.

But I would be surprised if the Acoustic Research HC-6 didn't sound better since they are a dedicated music/HT speaker set vs. the Logitech which was designed primarily for home computer gaming use.