Need A Reciver/Amp And 5.1 Set-Up For A Cavernous Room!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Simpson, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Normally, making a recommendation for a receiver or an amp/pre-pro combo is an easy thing to do for most of us here, but in this case, I'm stumped, so I turn to the rest of you. My brother is claiming a sudden interest in surround sound for his home, but I fear his room may be a real bear in which to work. Here's the rub: his room is friggin' huge: about 50' by 25', and completely open; no obstructions, but he only wants surround sound in a portion of the room (the tv viewing area, duh!!). I fear that he's going to need some serious amplification in order to achieve the sort of performance that most of us enjoy in smaller living rooms or basements.
    So here's what I need, then: can you suggest a muscular receiver or amp/pre-pro combo and a 5.1 speaker set-up? To make matters more difficult, his budget is no higher than $3000CDN (about $2000USD), and as we are in Canada, on-line sales (Outlaw, any web-order) are pretty well out of the question. We'll worry about a display device later. Thanks for your help, gang, and cheers!

DS.

2. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Don't know how this came to be double-posted; my apologies. Mods, feel free to delete. Cheers!

DS.

3. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Well, you could attenuate the need for lots of power if you get efficient speakers (above 90dB sensitivity). Since you are in Canada, there are several great speaker companies up there. You might want to consider a package put together out of the new PSB Image series. Paradigm is another company to consider for speakers (a lot of people like them, but they are not the most efficient speaker).

For a receiver, the Denon 3802 is going to be replaced soon with the 3803, so you should be able to find it pretty steaply discounted.

Hope this helps.

4. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Dave

I think George is on the right path. Use high efficiency speakers. I would also agree with George that the Denon 3802 is a good choice now. Rather powerful, pretty full featured, and being closed out. Klipsch is famous for their high efficiency, and some of their lower end floor standers can crank out a lot of sound. I see several problem areas.

1) Subwoofer - The sub will "see" the entire room, unless you use a "near field" placement. That means having the sub as close to the listening position as possible, like an end table. HSU makes an excellent model the VTF-2 selling for $450 plus $60 shipping to Canada. I don't know about the import duties.

2) Surrounds - Using the 25 foot wall as the front, placing the surround speakers is probably going to require either speaker stands, ceiling mounts, or a wall shelf to hold the surrounds. If the mains are 10 feet apart, wall mounts might not sound quite right.

Artie