Need a receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by dustinSkater, Mar 29, 2006.

1. dustinSkater

dustinSkater Agent

I am going to buy new speakers soon and I am looking for suggestions on what receiver to get. Here is what I will be having for speakers: CMT-340 SE front pr + CMT-340 SE center + HTM-200 surround pr, and the PB12-ISD. I am hoping to pay $400-$500 not including tax or shipping or anything like that. Any suggestions?

2. Tom Donaghue

Tom Donaghue Stunt Coordinator

Hey Dustin;
    If you're not opposed to a refurbished unit, uBid has a Yamaha RX-V2500 for just under $450 (see here).

I've been a Denon fan for years and was considering upgrading to the Denon AVR-3805, but considering that I'm only using it as a pre/pro (not using the internal amps), I decided to go with the 2500 and just got it Tuesday. As it was about $200+ cheaper than the 3805, offers many of the same features (and more) and still provides a nice solution as a standalone A/V receiver, this was a fairly simple decision for me as the preamp portion of this receiver (as well as the whole unit) has gotten great reviews.

I've done a bit of configuration on it to this point and done some rudimentary listening, but so far, I'd have to say I'm pleased with it after upgrading from a Denon AVR-3803, which has been an excellent performer over the past couple of years. -TD

3. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

Lots of choices--too many maybe. But another vote from a happy Denon owner. Of course, I'm also very happy with my Onkyo gear -- both brands are good. That price will buy you a decent unit in either line (and several other brands as well.)

4. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

What are you going to be connecting to it. See if you can make a feature list. It makes it a lot easier to narrow it down.