Need a receiver. I would prefer the $300-$500ish range

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by jimmy225, Jul 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jimmy225

jimmy225 Auditioning

Jim
    I'm looking for a receiver and don't know what people recommend. I would like to setup a 5.1 stereo with Polk RTiA's and my biggest concern is power. My issue is I don't have a 4k TV and have no intentions of buying one in the immediate future so I don't want to pay big money for one with that option as it may be outdated by the time I do upgrade the TV but of course still want to play the audio from the TV through the speakers. What are your suggestions? Thank you all in advance!

2. David Willow

David Willow Babbling Idiot
    Supporter

Dave
    The Denon 2300 is around $500. The Onkyo 646 is a little bit cheaper. You can find similarly priced Yamahas and Pioneers. Any of these will be sufficient.

Power is overrated. It is mostly a marketing term that can be plastered on the boxes of cheap gear. The difference between 95 watts and 120 watts is almost nothing (you can't hear it). Also, modern AVRs will be 4k ready and usually have more than 5.1 connections. No need to use them all and if you do later decide to upgrade your TV you will be ready.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Those speakers have sensitivity ratings a bit above average, so any receiver rate in the 100 watt range will work fine (although you’ll probably get better overall performance closer to the $500 range than the $300). I’m partial to Yamaha and Pioneer myself, but the other brands are fine, too.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt