Need a re-release of "A Christmas Story"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael*K, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

It would be nice to know that this wasn't falling on deaf ears/eyes, but I'd love to see Warner Brothers give one of the all-time holiday classics, A Christmas Story its proper due. The 20th anniversary of this film is next year and now seems like a very opportune time to work on a special edition with a 16 X 9 anamorphic transfer (even Warner's own people must admit the P&S transfer was dreadful) and hopefully some involvement by Bob Clark, Darren McGavin and Peter Billingsley.

2. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I concur!

3. Jaxon's Dad

Jaxon's Dad Supporting Actor

Doug
    This is on my list of must own movies, but I refuse to purchase this in its current form. The full frame presentation features muted colors and an image that shimmers, like it was projected on a sheet that was blowing in the wind. Pretty sad for a film with such a huge fan following. Please Warners, revisit this and do it right. New transfer, cast and crew interviews, and a retrospective documentary would be a good place to start.

4. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

5. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I would certainly get this if it were offerred in anamorphic widescreen.

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I recall the heyday of DVD, and a few friends and I sat around discussing the hobby of film collecting and how it could become more like CD collecting (Average person owning hundreds of titles). We started discussing which movies we would each "need" to own on this DVD format: what titles contained so much rewatchability that it would be worth having such a permanent archive of it...

The only movie, at the time, I could honestly say I would have to own was A CHRISTMAS STORY. When I bought my DVD player, it was the first title I purchased (what a horrible introduction to DVD!), and I have been waiting for a fixed version ever since that day.

Every time someone posts a thread asking about this title - I dutifully post agreeing that the film needs a rerelease-- but it seems to be such an overlooked title by Warner...

Maybe someday. Maybe this year I'll ask the mall Santa for a SE of this film, instead of the Football I asked him for last year...

-V

7. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

Love it....need it.

8. Brian McHale

Brian McHale Supporting Actor

Brian McHale
    This is still the only non-OAR title in my collection, purchased in ignorance three years ago. This and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (a flipper with a bad transfer) are the discs that made me start to search out online DVD information sources so I could avoid such mistakes in the future.

The Good News: I now have this forum, and many other online sources, to keep me informed and prevent me from buying bad discs.

The Bad News: I have two DVDs badly in need of replacement.

Count me in for a 16x9 OAR version of A Christmas Story as soon as it is released.

9. Rain

Rain Producer

I've also been waiting for a proper presentation of this film for a long, long time.

C'mon, Warner, this has to be one of the most wanted Special Editions you could possibly do!

I wonder if a petition would do any good. What kind of response do you think we'd get?

10. Brion Lydon

Brion Lydon Stunt Coordinator

I too would like to see a special edition of A Christmas Story in its OAR. Please, release this Warners!

Brion

11. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

I would definitely buy an SE of this! [​IMG]

12. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Isn't Warner putting out the special edition release of True Romance that is jam packed with additional material? Please Warner, consider a similar treatment for the much cherished A Christmas Story!

13. Ric Bagoly

Ric Bagoly Producer

Count me in. True Romance will belong to me, but Christmas Story needs the proper treatment please.

"A crummy commercial? Son of a bitch!"

14. Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner Second Unit

I will only (and gladly) replace my LD of Christmas Story with a new OAR tranfer.

C

15. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Ditto. Will buy it day and date.

Cees

16. Brian McHale

Brian McHale Supporting Actor

Brian McHale
    Slightly off-topic, but I just watched Slap Shot the other day for the first time in many years, and was a bit surprised to see Ralphie's mom (Melinda Dillon) in a somwhat exposed condition...

17. MatthewH

MatthewH Agent

I would gladly replace my VHS copy with a new 16X9 rerelease with all the extras. Warner Bros please give this movie another whirl.

18. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    Ditto. Will buy day-and-date.

This film could use a nice re-do like Gremlins, with a fun commentary track and whatever other goodies are out there.

19. Marc Deslauriers

Christmas story in widescreen, please!

This is really a great movie.

20. PienSavaca

PienSavaca Stunt Coordinator

I taped the widescreen version off of Turner Classic Movies, so Dish Network and Maxell got my money. Doesn't Warner Brothers want my money too?