What's new

Need a rack or something to hide all the gear in a stair closet (1 Viewer)

Shooby

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
Just moved into a new place, and I plan to store all the AV gear in a closet near the back of our living room, with the goal being that only the LCD hanging on the wall is in sight.

The closet is under the stairs, so it has lower and lower clearance the further you go back. We'll also be using it for coats, vacuum, or whatever random stuff ends up there. From the wall where the LCD will hang (on the other side of the room from the closet) all the wiring (component, HDMI, cable, IR) is strung through through the walls and under the floor via crawlspace, so I think I'm mostly covered (except the previous owner didn't have surround speakers, so I have to wire for that - another project).

With that background, my goal is to find a fairly inexpensive AV Rack or other organization option for an under-the-stairs closet (i.e., narrow, not a lot of height in the back). I currently only have three pieces (AV Receiver, DVD player and cable box...will add BR player later, and maybe a game console). I'm hoping to find something with the following starter criteria:

- sturdy
- looks good, even though it's in a closet
- around or under $250
- allows easy access to the wiring (e.g., pivots or turns somehow for easy access to back).
- protects gear from getting bumped by vacuums and brooms
- good airflow, since it'll be in a closet
- any other best practices?

I've searched online for 'AV Rack' etc., but haven't seen anything standout. If you can help me out that would be awesome!

Thanks.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Just make sure you have a way to get at the back of your gear. The rack Wayne showed had wheels. If you go with something like that make sure you make your cables 4 or 5 feet longer so you have room to turn the rack or wheel it around. I also like the Euro series from Sanus. You can mix and match, shelves and add accessories like wheels.

http://www.sanus.com/us/en/products/av-foundations/av-euro/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks