What's new

Need a Quick Paradigm CC Question Answered I CC or 2 Studio 20s? (1 Viewer)

Nigel Hooper

Stunt Coordinator
Can run a Studio CC or get 2 Studio 20 V2s for the same price? Thoughts on this? ALL REPLIES APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!!!

WayneO

Supporting Actor
What's the price and from who?, I'll buy the other that you don't...........:D

Seriously, I'd probably get the center for center use since that's the design goal of the speaker. I'd be afraid to buy the 20's and feel that they don't fit the setup. On the other hand, if you currently have or going to get 20's all around, instead of other Studio models, that might be the way to go.

mackie

Supporting Actor
Need to make sure the 20 is video shielded before using as a center since you had to special order video shielding for that model. If I remember correctly, it is recommended that this speaker be at least 10 inches from the video source. I've heard numerous people using a regular speaker for the center and it works fine. The 20s are a great little speaker.

Nigel Hooper

Stunt Coordinator
Have a RPTV so it doesn't matter. Currently running them tweeter to tweeter wired in series but not overly happy with that arrangement.

mackie

Supporting Actor
Currently running them tweeter to tweeter wired in series but not overly happy with that arrangement.

Not sure what you mean here, so I'm making a guess. Just use one of them and put the jumpers back on or biwire.

I've read many times that center channel speakers are designed the way they are as much for marketing as performance. Seems they look better on the TV. I'm not sure this is true or not.

I use a Studio 470 as my center and it is a freakin awesome speaker. I would think a 20 would do a fine job too.

Will Gibbons

Agent
I vote for a single 20 as a center. It does leave you with an extra 20, but do not recommend running dual speakers for a center.

Regards,
Will

WayneO

Supporting Actor
It does matter. They are still CRT based and will be affected by magnetic fields. If I put my sub to close to my Sony RPTV it would mess up the picture.

Will Gibbons

Agent
I was told that RPTV does not pose an issue for non-shielded center speakers placed on top of the display--the potential affected components are at the bottom of the RPTV.

Regards,
Will

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Agreed, I just wanted to state the potential is there, it could depend on either the speaker and/or the TV.

mackie

Supporting Actor
Nigel - you should be able to find a studio CC fairly easy. They come up on e-bay frequently.

One other thing to consider. You'll need to aim the 20 down toward your listening position some. If your RPTV is as tall as mine, the tweeter will be aimed over the top of your seating position. This will make the speaker sound flat. I did this with mine and it made a substantial difference.

Will Gibbons

Agent
Positioning the center speaker for tweeter orientation to ear level is recommended whether an M-T-M center speaker design or normal monitor design. For using the Paradigm 20, you might want to consider reversing the speaker 180 degreees where the tweeter is positioned on the bottom. This will significantly lessen the steep angle for ear level.

Good luck,
Will

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator
Nigel - Audiogon is probably a better shot for reasonable $$$ than eBay. I know - I've watched for a CC @ the price I wanted for literally months & months and finally found it at Audiogon (while the eBay auctions just spiral out of sight).

Trust us - you really don't want two 20's in the middle like that. I'd suggest you should put a stop to that awful experiment and just send me the pair of 20s - I'll make them feel happy and at home... :D :D

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator
Yup, knew that. Manunited67. Here, A-gon, and V-gon, too. Unfortunately, as much as I'd like to snag 'em, I am a proud & professional bottom-dwelling scum sucker (and I kinda have to be with one in college and one about to be). If I'm gonna get more stuff then I have to stick to a pretty severe target number and be really, really patient until (or if) I ever find what I want at that number... Good luck w/ the CC!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks