Need a new VCR (please do not hurt me :-) )

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eggert, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Eggert

Eggert Agent

I am moving to the US next week and intend to purchase a S-VHS VCR. It has been many years since I looked into VCRs with any real interest, and I have never owned or researched S-VHS VCRs before, so I wanted to pose this question here on the forum.

What not-to-expensive (anything over 400 USD is out of the question) S-VHS VCR would you recommend?

I have looked into the JVC HRS-9900U S-VHS VCR but that is simply to expensive (just over 400 USD if I remember correctly).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
    Eggert O.

2. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

You might want to check crutchfields website. they were selling the JVC 7800 SVHS for $199 a couple of months ago. I got one and think it's great. If I'm not mistaken, the 7900 is the new model, so they were clearancing out the 7800.

3. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

Yes got with the 7800 or 7900 or whatever. I recently got 2 and love it. I wish to get another one to put on my rig although I don't have much use for it there.

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Problems with cheap S-VHS VCR's:
    1. Poor comb filter, may have dot crawl or other problems that do not do justice to the quality of S-video recordijng of broadcasts. I don't know which models are affected but an older JVC 3600U I have is OK.
    2. No S-video input (only an S-video output). Obvious when you look in back but if you buy one of these by mistake you'll be cursing soon. There is a JVC model like this that was selling for about USD 120.
    An S-VHS VCR with a decent comb filter makes a good composite to S_video converter, much better than the USD 20 device from Radio Shack or even the USD 100 one from Monster Cable.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

5. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

In the new line up JVC doesn't have a replacement for the 7800 model. It's either the top of the line S-VHS or the bottom of the line S-VHS models. No middle ground model like the 7800 was.

6. Eggert

Eggert Agent

Hi,

Thanks for your recommendations.

I have checked out the 7800 model and it seems to be what I am looking for. It seems however that Crutchfield doesn't accept foreign credit cards (you have to select a US state in the billing information) so I will have to wait to order it until I get to the US and get an american credit card (I also couldn't seem to find this model on Amazon.com). Just hope it is still available then.

Best regards,
    Eggert

7. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Eggert, you should look into sending them a money order. These 7800 are going to sell out eventually, maybe sooner, maybe later...? Best wishes!