What's new

Need a new toy: Sub or Amp? (1 Viewer)

meeks

Agent
Hey guys, Ive been saving a little money so I can upgrade my system further. I have Swan 2.1 & C3 for mains & polk fx300's for rears and a SVS 20-39+ for the low end. I did some measurments on my room last night & the main room is 3000cf with a large opening into another 3000cf or so. Im running a HK 230 receiver & was wondering what you guys would do if you were in my shoes. If my mains & center were larger or seem like hard speakers to drive I would get an amp first but since they are a mid-size bookshelf then im kinda wondering if adding a 150x5 or so amp will make a huge difference. I was also thinking of moving up to a pb12-2+ to pressurize the room a little more. What new toy would you get? and dont say another cylinder because I dont want 2 in my living room.

MikeHU

Stunt Coordinator
Get an amp. I just did and it made a huge difference.
I've been running a Denon AVR-2805, with all Klipsch reference 7, and a SVS PC ultra. Just got a B&K 200.7 S2 amp, and using the Denon as a pre/pro. I can't beging to explain how much of a difference it made with my RF-7's (much larger sound stage), and bringing out the subtlties of sound in my surrounds. I followed others advise and got 200 wpc, and would recommend the same. Do it and you will be very happy with the new sound ;)

Robert Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
If you don't have issues with your amp straining on the current speakers that you have, I'd recommend upgrading the sub as that will most definitely result in better sound (or lower, more powerful bass).

MikeHU

Stunt Coordinator
My Denon wasn't straining to keep up, and the amp made a tremendous difference in my system. Perhaps you need to experiment with an amp from a company/store with a favorable return policy, and see what it does for yours. My local dealer offers 7 days cash refund, and 30 days for in-store credit.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Mike, was it at normal listening levels or higher levels that you notice the improvement?

OP, I would add another 20-39pc+ sub and tune them both to 16hz :)

That would be one hell of an upgrade for you.

MikeHU

Stunt Coordinator
A little of both, but most notibly at lower listening levels. My bass response just seemed a little pathetic considering the RF-7's and the PC ultra. I had it calibrated, and would experiment with large/small, LFE+mains, and just LFE only. With the amp, the RF-'s are really opened-up and much better bass response, to the point I've even backed-off the gain on my SVS. I really like to hear my surround speakers for movies, and I had them turned up a bit with just the Denon. Now with the amp, they are really much more dynamic. (I have 2 Klipsch RCW-5 in walls for my rear surround, in the 7.1 config).
The whole system just has a completely "fuller" and "richer" sound. Maybe it's just a thing with the large RF-7's, as many people over at the Klipsch forums say they really need a lot of power to make them sound good. It didn't sound bad before, just not reaching it's potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks